• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbright3

I'm taking the ASTB tomorrow and was wondering what the slots look like for NFO in the future? I am hoping that I am ready to take it. I have no problems with the PRT as far as I can tell. I should be able to run the 1.5 in about 10:30 right now and do plenty of push-ups and sit-ups. Are the tests done right in succession or spaced out? Anybody else in here 27 or older? From the way it looks ,everyone is around the low 20's.
Later,
K

John Kevin Bright

SmithS

Don't feel old, I'm 26 so i'm right up there with ya'. I'm in Austin as well. There's another guy on this forum that's from Austin but he leaves for OCS this weekend. My date is Nov 9. Both of us got Pilot, but we're both willing to give out any info we have. Is your recruiter LCDR Fitzpatrick? Feel free to email anytime, Steven_Smith@aimfunds.com

ryan77

Hey the Navy always needs NFOs - if you have no medical disqual conditions and do well on the ASTB, you have a really good chance on getting an SNFO designator.

You should get little breaks during the ASTB but not much.

kbright3

I had been speaking to Lt. Schorman, but had just found out today that he is leaving. I now am talking to Lt. Tony Brown. Any suggestions smiths to ease the test anxiety that I have right now?
I've looked at the ARCO study guides and looked throught the ARCO mechanical aptitude book, but still am nervous. I hate to fail.

John Kevin Bright

cman

John, I just turned 28 a few months ago and I'm shooting for a NFO slot as well. From what my recruiter told me there is somethig like 70 slots still opne for NFO. This is just what my recruiter told me, and I've seen plenty of posts where guys are told different things by recruiters all the time. Plus the new fiscal year starts in Oct so I imagine the navy will have some more slots opening up. From everything that I've been able to gather since starting the application process, as far as NFO's are concerned, ryan hit the nail on the head. They're always needed.

As far as advice for the ASTB. I just took it last week. My scores were ok, 6, 5, and OAR 53. The test it self is not hard. It's the time that gets in the way. The math is weighted pretty high for your FOFAR, and in turn, the mechanical section is weighted higher for the AQR. So those sections are key. The math was my worst section (24 correct), while the mechanical was my best (only missed 2). That's why there is a gap between my AQR and FOFAR scores.

Really the best advice I could give since you are going tomorrow is just work quickly. If you come to a question that you don't recognize how to solve right away, skip it and move on. When you've finished the last question, then go back and figure out the ones you had trouble with. At least you've been able to answer all the questions you actually knew how to solve. Even if you are out of time you should have time after one of the other sections to go back and just fill in bubbles. Remember, wrong answers don't count against you, it's the number of correct answers the determines your score. If you've spent some time studying, the test shouldn't be a problem for you. Like I said, in general I was suprised at how easy some of the questions were, it's just the short amount of time you have that makes if difficult.

Hope this helps and let me know how you did.
Good luck,
Chris

flounder

quote:
I'm taking the ASTB tomorrow and was wondering what the slots look like for NFO in the future? I am hoping that I am ready to take it.
i'm scheduled to take tests 2 weeks from this wednesday. nervous as all hell b/c my degree certainly wasn't of the "technical" nature so having some issues with the mechanical probs. cman, yr thorough response/advice is helpful to me. i tend to linger on problems so yr reminder to move quickly is appreciated. k,best of luck to you tomorrow!!

quote:Anybody else in here 27 or older? From the way it looks ,everyone is around the low 20's.
yepyep, but i am another golden oldie (i'm 26) also from the lonestar state and going for a NFO slot. hah, seems i have met my competition!

Edited by - flounder on 08/19/2002 22:32:02

cman

Flounder, I hear ya about having met the competition

As for not having the tech. degree, me niether. I have a B.A. in English from the University of Kentucky. That didn't slow me down on the ASTB mechanical section though. I just studied my ass off with the Arco book and that gem of a study guide the marines put out. Actually, I even found the mechanical info in Baron's ASVAB study guide useful. Really, with that I was blown away with how easy I found the mech. section of the ASTB.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help out with.

Chris

Edited by - cman on 08/19/2002 22:56:36

Edited by - cman on 08/19/2002 22:57:47

kbright3

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I'm off to do some more studying before I take the test. Good luck to everyone else about to take it. As far as a technical degree, i'm far from it as well. I have a degree in Exercise and Sports Science, with a minor in Health and Wellness Promotion. At least my degree will help me on the PRT.
Take care.

John Kevin Bright

grouch

Hey guys, I'll be 29 when I go to OCS so don't feel so bad. As far as the test goes, it is anticlimatic!!! You will pump yourself all up before you take it and walk out feeling let down. Just don't rush it.

gus

I'm 29 and it's not a big deal. I'm headed down to Pensacola Nov. 9.
The test is not all that difficult, just work quickly and skip what you don't know and come back to it.

cuculeis

dont i feel old, im 31 right now and am heading to OCS next month. ill just be shy of my 32nd
b-day prior to graduation....but im sure ill put a few young bucks to shame when it comes to the
PRT...

Status
Not open for further replies.