• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vreyes90

Found out today that I was selected for NFO & I'm currently waiting for a response from Nuke. Got a few questions in hopes of making my final decision: [Female, 24, Navy]

What are the responsiblites of a NFO when not flying? [admin, etc]
I want to fly in helo's what are my chances?
How is it being a women NFO in the Navy - any restrictions [aircraft/training/etc]?
How is family life?

Any advice would be great.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Found out today that I was selected for NFO & I'm currently waiting for a response from Nuke. Got a few questions in hopes of making my final decision: [Female, 24, Navy]

How is it being a women NFO in the Navy - any restrictions [aircraft/training/etc]?
How is family life?

1. Same as pilots
2. Zero
3. Your gender is not a factor
4. Do a search - there's plenty of info about deployments/family/etc.

Brett

HalfBreed

None

How is family life?

NFOs have the same ground jobs as pilots do. These can range from any number of admin jobs (admin, PAO, Legal) or maintenance jobs (multiple shops to be assigned to). All of thse jobs involve pushing paper.

As was said before, NFOs do not fly in Helos. If you want to fly helos, be a pilot.

There are no restrictions for Female NFOs or pilots for that matter. If there are restrictions, they are based on physical measurements of your body, standards which apply to both men and women. We all go through the same training and are expected to perform the same duties to the same standard.

I can't speak much for family life, I don't have the experience. Perhaps someone else can. But in general aviation is better than SWO (though not as well paying as nuke SWO). Overall the military has the same sort of family life. It depends on a lot of things, most of which picking nuke or NFO does not matter. If anything, keep in mind where you might be stationed as a nuke and where you might be stationed as an NFO.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Here's my .02

If there is any way to get into pilot, do that. (No offense to my double anchor bretheren, but very few of them will say that they would not like to actually fly the plane if given the chance.)

If not, the aviation community is much better then Nuke SWO living in the bowels of a carrier and standing a lot of watch. Ground duties in aviation are the same for all aircrew, including division officers, admin, training, ops, etc. The life of an aviator is much better in the operational standpoint, especially underway. Sleep, eat, fly, and sleep some more. You won't find an aviator up for breakfast on the ship unless they HAVE to fly at 0700, which is RARE!!! Every nuke eats breakfast.

As for in port, the drawback of aviation is crappy home ports. Whidbet Island (Prowlers and P-3s) is okay, but secluded from any ngiht life. Lemoore is the desert and sucks. Fallon is the desert. Norfolk is a good deal, but not the best. Compared to San Diego, Everett (just outside of Seattle) and Norfolk. Of course you can get some better homeports on your SWO pin tour too on a smaller ship, perhaps at JAX in FL.

So those are some things to consider. Personally I would go aviation. Drink a lot, party a lot, sleep a lot (on cruise) and seriouly, you are much cooler. The Nuke bonus is nice, but the nicest pen on watch in the reactor isn't gonna make you as happy as buzzing the ship at 500 kts and 500 feet (or so you tell the tower!!!)

Hope this helps..... and I hope to see you at Hook!! (Also another bonus)

P.S. Don't go P-3's

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No offense to my double anchor bretheren, but very few of them will say that they would not like to actually fly the plane if given the chance.

None taken, but I wouldn't be so quick to speak for an entire community, of which you are not a part. I, for one, have no such desire. Consider yourself counseled. ;)

Brett

ProwlerPilot

pilot
That's a pretty stern tone there Brett. Especially for a dude heading back to the RAG!!! I've got your SOD waiting, just let me know when you will be able to come and sign it!!! Your counseling will follow!!!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a pretty stern tone there Brett. Especially for a dude heading back to the RAG!!! I've got your SOD waiting, just let me know when you will be able to come and sign it!!! Your counseling will follow!!!!!

Give me a break. :sleep_125 If that's your instruction technique, you've got bigger problems than me. BTW, AW smileys (;)) = non-stern tone. :D Learn it, live it.

Brett

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Don't go P-3's....based on what? Speaking again about things that you have no experience in? Is it the crappy lifestyle, the crappy places like Hawaii to be stationed? Just curious what you are basing this pearl of wisdom on.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
P-3s don't have a tailhook..... If you are not gonna land on a ship, you should have been in the airforce and flown F-16s or F-15s. Just a Tailhooker's opnion.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
P-3s don't have a tailhook..... If you are not gonna land on a ship, you should have been in the airforce and flown F-16s or F-15s. Just a Tailhooker's opnion.

What the hell do F-16's an F-15's have to do with P-3's, and should have been in the Air Force huh? You are an idiot....just a P-3 pilot's opinion.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Or at least have the common courtesy to not knock the short field gear out of battery every five minutes. :eek: As someone who's been in both communities, I must concur. :D

Brett

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Or at least have the common courtesy to not knock the short field gear out of battery every five minutes. :eek: As someone who's been in both communities, I must concur. :D

Brett

Ha ha! Now that was a least funny.:) And at least you have credibility when you speak about it, having been there. Even a nice smile for all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.