• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jold

Have been told that i aint gonna be a pilot, any time soon. Have MS and BS in Aero eng from top school, 3.9 avg, scored 9 and 70 (think) on ASTB and physical is 100%. Have private including insts. Age 24. am told no slots, now or near term.

Have been offered NFO and think clearly understand the duties and etc.

Questions: How much stick time does an NFO get in training cycle? Types?

Any possibility of some stick time after arriving in fleet, eg, training refresher?
bouncy_125.gif

Have been told NFO's can go to Test Pilot School. Is this true?

schmuckatelli

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that if you are an NFO you go to TPS as a test NFO. For more info go to the Navy's test pilot school web page at http://www.usntps.navy.mil

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
During training you'll get 6 flights where you'll have the controls. After that, just about zero. After school, I'm told that the only a/c where you'll have a chance of any stick time is the S-3. But thinking logically, why would they give you stick time if you're not a pilot?
Sorry about your situation. NFO is still a great job...

holy crap that sucks man. I'm really sorry to hear that. I could throw up the "It'll all work out for the best thing," but I don't think I'd care about that in your shoes...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They? Who's they? Have you applied? Have you been formally turned down? If not, complete the application process and go from there. All of your stats look good and you never know, a slot might just open up...unless you have skeletons in your closet...
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by wakani
Have been told that i aint gonna be a pilot, any time soon. Have MS and BS in Aero eng from top school, 3.9 avg, scored 9 and 70 (think) on ASTB and physical is 100%. Have private including insts. Age 24. am told no slots, now or near term.

Have been offered NFO and think clearly understand the duties and etc.

Questions: How much stick time does an NFO get in training cycle? Types?

Any possibility of some stick time after arriving in fleet, eg, training refresher?
bouncy_125.gif

Have been told NFO's can go to Test Pilot School. Is this true?

stevew

Don't worry, even if you apply now as ea6bflyr said you should do and you get non-select you are still young enough to reapply when slots do open up. This FY is ending soon so maybe we'll have a better idea of when slots will open up for all of us. Good luck to you and all those waiting to apply.

-Steve

kevin

agreed. with your resume why not try. if you want nfo then do it. if you only want sna then do it. you might just have to be patient. the other thing is (i didnt officially say this) if you are deadset on pilot, if the navy gives you a stiff arm, you could try af since you have a ppl.

grouch

Oh yea, the AF just gives flight slots away to every Tom Dick and Harry with a ppl. The AF needs people about as bad as the Navy does.

kevin

grouch: after you get done pulling the stick out of your ass, you can realize i never said anything regarding how difficult is to get a pilot slot in the af. yes it is very difficult right now...however if he has a ppl he has a chance, whereas if you dont you really dont have much of one. so having a ppl definitely puts him in a higher pecking order. and the fact of the matter is, the af is taking application which the navy apparently is not. pull slowly so you dont hurt yourself.

grouch

You really ought to write for Leno or something. Your comebacks are about as bad as his. Think about it, 40 hours by regs to get the PPL and all of a sudden, the AF is gonna jump at you? The AF told me when I was shopping them that I had to have an ATP just to be considered. As a side note, when I was at OCS, I was amaized at the people the Navy took for SNA. None of them had flight time much less a private's. My favorite was the music major. These were just regular Joes that were at the right place at the right time. As far as the stick goes, I think I will keep it there, it helps me walk in a "military manor"

Status
Not open for further replies.