• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Question

slater01

I already have my application in for Intel, but I as I have looked into it, I'm starting to get interested in NFO. I just have a quick question. How often do NFO's have to move throughout their careers? From what I hear, Intel moves around a lot, I just want to know how NFO would compare? Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I already have my application in for Intel, but I as I have looked into it, I'm starting to get interested in NFO. I just have a quick question. How often do NFO's have to move throughout their careers? From what I hear, Intel moves around a lot, I just want to know how NFO would compare? Thanks.

NFOs are no different from most other designators. Most tours last approx. 2-3 years, so you can do the math. That doesn't mean that you necessarily change geographic locations for a new set of orders, but the chances are fairly high.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Attached is from the Naval Personnel Command.

This is from an aviation detailer and shows a "typical" career progression as it exists today.

Between each block, could be a potential move...

r/
G

Attachments

• Aviation Career Path.jpg
    Aviation Career Path.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 395

IRfly

None
What do the acronyms for the admin boards stand for? And what is the "MSR" in the green rectangle? Thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do the acronyms for the admin boards stand for? And what is the "MSR" in the green rectangle? Thanks.

Dept. Head Screening Board
Aviation Command Screening Board
Aviation Major Command Screening Board

I'm not familiar with MSR (Minimum service requirement?) Looks like the average initial commitment for aviators.

Brett

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
MSR= We own you!!!! Minimum Service Requirement.. 8 yrs from wings... 10-12 years after commisioning depending on training delays, pipeline, etc...

IRfly

None
Thanks. I guess this particular chart is for aviators, as the MSR is eight years after winging. But the career paths are pretty much identical. I guess that the biggest difference is that they hold on to the aviators for a disassociated tour, while NFOs can get out before that?

The FRS refresher blocks that they show in the chart are going to be TAD, right? What about your first trip to the RAG?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I guess this particular chart is for aviators, as the MSR is eight years after winging. But the career paths are pretty much identical. I guess that the biggest difference is that they hold on to the aviators for a disassociated tour, while NFOs can get out before that?

The FRS refresher blocks that they show in the chart are going to be TAD, right? What about your first trip to the RAG?

RAG visits for CAT I guys (initial training) are going to be PCS and CAT others (refresher training) is going to depend on your Cat (III or IV) and platform. Your RAG requal is going to be written into your orders as an intermediate duty station, so it's really not TAD per se. Also, people who are still current in their platforms (RAG instructors, super JOs, etc.) won't need to go back through the RAG.

Brett

MasterBates

The only thing that is different for pilots who are already winged, is that some of us are on a 7 year commitment (Helo/P3). Combine a long RAG with an extension on sea duty (not uncommon in HSL) and a fair amount of us are "free" prior to 2nd sea tour..

hscs

pilot
concur with the above post -- it really depends on how quick you can get through the training command and FRS. If you have a year or more left on your commitment at the end of 2nd tour -- plan on going back to sea or getting one of those pesky IAs.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None

The tendency lately has been that it's taken so long to get pilots into the fleet (4 years) that they're not doing disassociated sea tours at all... there's even patch-wearers who aren't doing Training O tours because they're too senior by the time they're done with their shore tours...

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
The tendency lately has been that it's taken so long to get pilots into the fleet (4 years) that they're not doing disassociated sea tours at all... there's even patch-wearers who aren't doing Training O tours because they're too senior by the time they're done with their shore tours...

Only true with TACAIR....

MasterBates

Yep. I was underway doing workups as an Ensign. There are guys from my API class that went Jets-Kingsville that were getting winged right as I was getting underway for my first deployment.