• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Potential Pipelines

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H, you make it sound like we're in Boy Scouts.. Remember the totin' chit, the whittling chit, and so on.. haha! The "badge" allows you to fly.. Without, you're not stepping foot near that plane!

Worst Post Of the Week. Congrats.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H, you make it sound like we're in Boy Scouts.. Remember the totin' chit, the whittling chit, and so on.. haha! The "badge" allows you to fly.. Without, you're not stepping foot near that plane!

WTF?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

jmiller82

To all who took offense to the above posting, I truly am sorry.. I did not mean to p1ss off anyone or tell any of you what your wings meant.. I was merely joking (and it was a dumb@$$ comment) that the "badge" allowed you to fly aircraft. It kind of reminded me of the Boy Scouts (waaay back) when you achieved your "totin' chit," which allowed you to carry your knife around. Why I made that association, I don't know..
Again, I'm sorry for the dismay and utterly stupid comments I made earlier. You guys have basically clarified anything that I've asked, be it OCS questions or questions about NFO's. This site is the single-best site on the web in regards to information about becoming a US Naval Officer and/or a US Navy pilot or NFO.. Thanks again and hope that we can all start back at square one.. I'll definitely police myself better and remember to THINK before I post away..

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Pipeline Updates

Ok,

So I took the pipeline chart thingy that started this thread and updated it with the last info the I RECIEVED. (The emphasis was added b/c it may not be completely up-to-date and the pipeline is still evolving a bit)

Take in mind that the times are approximate and represent the time actually spent training, not at the specific commands. They do not take into account wiat times and weather delays.

Note: Primary and Intermediate are at VT-4 and VT-10, and Advanced is at VT-86 (providing you stay at Sherman till you get winged)

Here it is:

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Those numbers still can't be right. Looking at my logbook, I had 189.9 hours at wings. Granted, there were some extra hours due to incompletions and warm-ups... but not 50% more...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My only criticism is that only a small number of people will be in a shore based squadron (I.E. RAG or VTs) for their first shore tour.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dunno about the hours... I couldn't update those b/c I have absolutely no clue as to what you get in each stage.

I just updated the aircraft and some of the pipelines to reflect the current syllabus.

Turn, when did you get winged? That may account for the discrepancy. If I'm talkin out of my rear, slap me now.

Cheers,
Bubba

Crowbar

None
Are the hours really that big of an issue? Especially when they're all SCT?

At any rate, 86 started earlier this year using a 'universal' syllabus where all Navy/Marines go through at least a little air-to-air training. I'm holding a copy of it in my hands and it shows:
Strike: 13 sims, 24.0 hours...17 flights, 29.1 hours
Fighter: 13 sims, 19.5 hours...8 flights, 11.4 hours
T-2: 9 sims, 13.5 hours...12 flights, 17.1 hours

Strike Total: 22 sims, 37.5 hours...29 flights, 46.2 hours
Strike/Fighter Totals: 35 sims, 57.5 hours...37 flights, 57.6 hours

That's advanced only, I can't find my T-1 syllabus but I think it was 8 flights and 14.5 hours. T-6 primary is 7 sims, 10.5 hours...12 flights, 21.0 hours. T-6 intermediate shows 5 sims, 7.5 hours...19 flights, 37.5 hours.

So, quick totals for strike and S/F are: 119.2 and 130.6. I doubt anybody has ever hit those right on, what with re-flys and observer flights and such. But that's what the syllabus says it 'should' be.

Garang

Thanks Guys

Especially for the link to the thread that helped me to understand the difference better.

From what I have read, my understanding is that,
Both NFO and Naval Aviator are both qualified to fly. However, Naval Aviator are the main pilots for the Navy aircraft. NFO though qualified to fly, serve as positions such as RIO.

If this understanding is inaccurate, please enlighten me. I would appreciate it.

This is slightly different from the RSAF (Republic of Singapore Air Force).

Thank you

Cheers
Garang

chrispaul

NFO
None
I don't know that the original poster's question was answered, so here goes:

NFOs can fly EA-6Bs, the two seater-F-18s that the EA-6B is supposed to be replaced by, E-2s, P-3s, EP-3s (I'm sure there is more that escape me). F-14s are dead, S-3s are dead.

To answer Garang's question, no that's is not correct. A Naval Aviator is the Navy's term for "pilot" - the person in physical control of the airplane (holding the stick). A Naval Flight Officer (NFO) is the Navy's term for officer aircrew (not enlisted) - the NFO typically is in charge of the weapons systems, radars, sensors, etc depending on the aircraft type, but is not physically flying the airplane. Hope that helps.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFOs can fly EA-6Bs, the two seater-F-18s that the EA-6B is supposed to be replaced by, E-2s, P-3s, EP-3s (I'm sure there is more that escape me). F-14s are dead, S-3s are dead.

The "two seater F-18" you're thinking of that's going to replace the EA-6B is the F/A-18G (EA-18G). Except, NFOs and pilots can't get those because they aren't in the Fleet... yet. What you are forgetting is a huge one... F/A-18F.

Just wanted to refine it, to make sure no wannabe NFOs get confused.

jmiller82

Yeah, you forgot the E-6B Mercury (TACAMO) (out of Tinker AFB (and NAS Patuxent River too, I think) as well..