• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Postgraduate Education

Renegade One

None
But value in the "real world" aside, does the Navy care?
Only, I suppose, if it's "the last tie-breaker" to consider. I doubt that it ever is, of course, and upwardly mobile folks probably seal the deal with other criteria well before some bright spark asks "So…what were their degrees in, and from what institutions?".

Spoken from the perspective of never, ever having sat on a board. As was often (usually?) the case in my day, I went to NWC AFTER my command tour. The MA thing was nice…the JPME was the CRITICAL part. Now? I dunno...

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
Not that I know of; so it just depends on whether you just want to check the Navy box or have a degree for a potential Plan B.
Is there any happy medium between these? A few of my military JO friends are already determined that a Masters is "just a check in the box" and are working on online diploma mill degree just to get it out of the way. This seems kind of ridiculous to me, and with a humanities-ish BA, I was hoping to put any potential chances at further education toward something more demanding.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Is there any happy medium between these? A few of my military JO friends are already determined that a Masters is "just a check in the box" and are working on online diploma mill degree just to get it out of the way. This seems kind of ridiculous to me, and with a humanities-ish BA, I was hoping to put any potential chances at further education toward something more demanding.

I'd agree that it's ridiculous, but that's just my opinion. But here's my opinion why: with O-4 selection rates low, the chances of staying in for 20 has gone down dramatically to an overall unrestricted line screen rate of ~70% which has resulted in a ~65% O-4 screen rate for 1310/20s. Will this continue? I have NO clue. Maybe AOCM could shed some light on the future of O-4 selections and future 1310/20 screen rates. What that means is that you better have a decent Plan B in the event that staying in until retirement doesn't work out.

Even if you think in college, OCS, or API that you're in for 20, you never know how life may change between then and the future. Maybe you'll decide you want out. Maybe you'll be interested in a lateral transfer to another community. Having a MA/MS that aligns with your interests will help give you a robust Plan B.

I was "lucky" enough to get an MS on the Navy's dime. It was a nice thing to have in my back pocket when I wanted to go to a Test Squadron and when I was trying to lateral transfer to AEDO. Now that I'm getting out, it's a nice to have on my resume as my MS aligns with what I want to do in the civilian world.

There are ways to get degrees that aren't just checks in the box. I had several friends who got MSs in engineering through Johns Hopkins while at Pax River. One of them had a liberal arts undergrad degree and had to take some catch up classes but still excelled. I know of several guys on the seawall at NGU who opted to get MBAs from both UNC and William and Mary. Like I said, it wasn't as easy as the NPS EMBA program, but their MBAs will be worth a lot more than an EMBA.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought one major reason was the shift from Wings+6 to Wings+8 MSRs, at least for us NAs.

Also, the "tough to make DH" thing is community-dependent n'est pas? I've heard from -18 drivers that the DH screen is a token process for them these days.

Not true in MPRA from the stats I've seen/anecdotal evidence of dudes I've seen who haven't screened. Of course, who knows how the pendulum will swing in a couple years.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not true in MPRA from the stats I've seen/anecdotal evidence of dudes I've seen who haven't screened. Of course, who knows how the pendulum will swing in a couple years.

Very community dependent. VFA seems to have a lower JO to DH ratio. They've also had more retention problems of late (their bonus is still 125k). Other communities such as VP/HSM/HSC have a higher JO to DH ratio (my fleet squadron was 45+JOs and we had 6-8 O-4s).

I'd agree that it's ridiculous, but that's just my opinion. But here's my opinion why: with O-4 selection rates low, the chances of staying in for 20 has gone down dramatically to an overall unrestricted line screen rate of ~70% which has resulted in a ~65% O-4 screen rate for 1310/20s. Will this continue? I have NO clue. Maybe AOCM could shed some light on the future of O-4 selections and future 1310/20 screen rates. What that means is that you better have a decent Plan B in the event that staying in until retirement doesn't work out.

Even if you think in college, OCS, or API that you're in for 20, you never know how life may change between then and the future. Maybe you'll decide you want out. Maybe you'll be interested in a lateral transfer to another community. Having a MA/MS that aligns with your interests will help give you a robust Plan B.

I was "lucky" enough to get an MS on the Navy's dime. It was a nice thing to have in my back pocket when I wanted to go to a Test Squadron and when I was trying to lateral transfer to AEDO. Now that I'm getting out, it's a nice to have on my resume as my MS aligns with what I want to do in the civilian world.

There are ways to get degrees that aren't just checks in the box. I had several friends who got MSs in engineering through Johns Hopkins while at Pax River. One of them had a liberal arts undergrad degree and had to take some catch up classes but still excelled. I know of several guys on the seawall at NGU who opted to get MBAs from both UNC and William and Mary. Like I said, it wasn't as easy as the NPS EMBA program, but their MBAs will be worth a lot more than an EMBA.
How does one go about having the Navy pay for degrees from these institutions? The only programs I've heard of are GI bill, NPS, & a couple for very specific degrees (I.e. security studies, international relations). Are there other not so advertised programs? Wouldn't the GI bill come nowhere close to covering an MBA tuition from places like Williams & Mary?

BigRed389

None
How does one go about having the Navy pay for degrees from these institutions? The only programs I've heard of are GI bill, NPS, & a couple for very specific degrees (I.e. security studies, international relations). Are there other not so advertised programs? Wouldn't the GI bill come nowhere close to covering an MBA tuition from places like Williams & Mary?

Tuition Assistance would be one. GEV is another.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/Pages/GradEd.aspx

GI Bill isn't really best used IMO if used on active duty.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

A lot of schools have something called the yellow ribbon program where they will essentially accept what the G.I. Bill will pay.

Also, you can likely get a masters off the post 9-11 G.I. Bill and have enough left over for 3-4 semesters of school for a dependent.