• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Pipeline Squadrons/Locations

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What's going to happen to the T-39 stuff?

3704560093_9e187e5c09.jpg

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Yeah, before that part. Funny though!

MIDNJAC might actually be right. Our OPS-O told us that they actually pulled some of the T-39s that are currently flying here directly from the boneyard, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see them going right back there.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Current plan IIRC is for the T-39s to be boneyarded and the syllabus to go directly to the T-45 and T-6 within 4yrs. Having now learned how to work a radar, I'll believe the "synthetic radar" when I see it, but I guess wiser men than I have given it the go-ahead.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Wow, not at all what I was thinking...thanks for the corrections. I guess my confusion came from being unsure how they were going to replace the T-39 in the curriculum but I guess they're just spreading the work out between the T-6 and the T-45. Makes sense, looking at it that way.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
MIDNJAC might actually be right. Our OPS-O told us that they actually pulled some of the T-39s that are currently flying here directly from the boneyard, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see them going right back there.

Yep, I flew the T-47A going through 10 and 86. Cessna Citation II SP with two feet cut off each wing to get the roll rate to 90/sec for RIO training. APG-66 radar and bigger engines. Sweet ride that could go to the mid-fourties in alt at .7. After winging got to fly a lear and a T-39 top provide input on the replacement of the fighting platypus.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the Prowler and found getting to 40K required light fuel and no pods. Of course we got a mach check on the way down from there which was sweet. :D

Here's the standard VT-10 pic they put in our graduation from intermediate folder with the three jets we flew in 10.

VT-101987.jpg

red_ryder

None
Current plan IIRC is for the T-39s to be boneyarded and the syllabus to go directly to the T-45 and T-6 within 4yrs. Having now learned how to work a radar, I'll believe the "synthetic radar" when I see it, but I guess wiser men than I have given it the go-ahead.
Ah, so that means no more NFO's teaching NFO's, right?

(how does that line go?)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I remember someone saying they may have NFO instructors fly as -2 backseaters for section flights later on in the syllabus, but no more "how's your nav lookin" from directly over your shoulder.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
Good information. Maybe add the amount of time for each step next to it. I.E. Primary 4-6 months etc.

As an NFO, did you attend IFS? I've been searching for information on this but only found a couple of threads.
One from 04 saying NFOs not having to do it:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8149&highlight=length+IFS

and one recent one, where they say it took him/her about 6-10 weeks to class up for IFS:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150096&highlight=IFS

Mainly looking for how long is IFS and if NFOs are required to do it. IFS is something I'd like to do so this info would be appreciated.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, NFOs have to do IFS, all of it.

And NFO Primary only takes 4 months if you graduate with your original class. A lot of people recently have been graduating 2 weeks early, and in one case I heard in 10's last P-grad class apparently there was a girl who graduated 4 weeks early. 6 months is about the time frame for primary + intermediate.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Yes, NFOs have to do IFS, all of it.

To add...you're budgeted 50 days to complete the IFS syllabus. Some people take 49 days, some people (like me) finish in 17. It's not really an at-your-own-pace thing, its just how much your instructor can fly you, weather, other students that need to be pushed through, etc. Its the same curriculum (FAR Part 151, if you're interested) but the amount of time it actually takes varies widely.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
Thanks to both of you. I had a reasonable understanding of everything except for IFS. Appreciate the help.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Latest gouge is that NFOs will be switching back to the 13-hour syllabus for IFS. Not sure when that is to officially take place, but it's already been signed off on.