• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Pipeline Squadrons/Locations

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To add...you're budgeted 50 days to complete the IFS syllabus. Some people take 49 days, some people (like me) finish in 17. It's not really an at-your-own-pace thing, its just how much your instructor can fly you, weather, other students that need to be pushed through, etc. Its the same curriculum (FAR Part 151, if you're interested) but the amount of time it actually takes varies widely.

Time waivers are possible, however. I started IFS 3NOV and finished 7JAN because of Christmas/tons of days of crappy weather.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
To add...you're budgeted 50 days to complete the IFS syllabus. Some people take 49 days, some people (like me) finish in 17. It's not really an at-your-own-pace thing, its just how much your instructor can fly you, weather, other students that need to be pushed through, etc. Its the same curriculum (FAR Part 151, if you're interested) but the amount of time it actually takes varies widely.

I googled Part 151 and it dealt with federal aid to airports, do you mean Part 141?

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
According to the Commodore, with the addition of a multi-crew sim coming, eventually pretty much all SNFO's will wing at TRAWING6 before going to their prospective FRS. This means that the guys picked up for P-3's and E-6's will stay and do some sort of intermediate and advanced training as well.

...so I hear.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to the Commodore, with the addition of a multi-crew sim coming, eventually pretty much all SNFO's will wing at TRAWING6 before going to their prospective FRS. This means that the guys picked up for P-3's and E-6's will stay and do some sort of intermediate and advanced training as well.

...so I hear.

Huh? Unless they're building an E-2 back end WST as well, I can't see the VAW community going for this. Then again, I'm kinda out of that loop nowadays.

Personally, I always felt that the E-2 selectees should continue on to -86, at least for the A-A syllabus. Practical considerations of money, student loads, T-39/T-45 hours, etc, aside, it seemed like having spent some hours running an intercept from the back seat of a jet and trying to translate bogey dope into the soda-straw picture in front of you, could not help but make you a better AIC.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh? Unless they're building an E-2 back end WST as well, I can't see the VAW community going for this. Then again, I'm kinda out of that loop nowadays.

Based on what i heard at the conference, the multi-crew sim/the mini-rag syllabus here seemed to only be a big wing thing, not for E-2s. It was basically a big wing replacement for the intermediate syllabus the tailhook guys do now.