• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO or 4million bucks?

Greetings,

I am aware this may come off as a humblebrag, and Ild like to apologize in anticipation for sounding like a pompous show off. But I am in dire need of some old man wisdom and theres no better place for that than the AW community.

On the one hand, Ive lucked out and got several job offers working in software at big tech companies in the $400k range. Nothing too exciting. Writing little code, cashing big checks.

On the other, I have an NFO contract ship date late July. Along with all the pains and pleasures that being an AD officer for a decade carries.

I am a single mid-twenties dude who thinks that playing dress-up and licking windows around the globe full time for 8-10 years would be the coolest job ever.
But, would it be as cool as being a mid-thirties dude with $4million his bank account (prolly somewhat under $3mill after tax)?

Yes, many vets have said throughout history "they wouldnt trade their service for the world", but I mean $3million in your 30s is a lot of moolah though. Kinda makes me wonder if they meant it literally or if they just say it cause it sounds cool. I don't have that kinda money nor have I lived the life of an FO, so I'm asking you folks who have done at least one and/or possibly both.

So my question to you older, wiser bubbas who've beenthere-donethat and in their youth chose adventure and service and have now moved on to the rhythms
of civilian life, would you trade your naval aviation years, memories, and experiences for $3million bucks?

And yes, I am aware every now and then a similar thread pops up and it always come down to "OP, you must chose between adventure and a civvy career. Go to
the woods and search within, its something that only you can answer for yourself. If anything, serve now and then go focus on your finances". Yeah. True. Cant argue with that. But. Knowing what you now know about life in naval aviation, would you sell your service years for $3 million bucks though?

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have any inkling of repeatedly telling this story again while on AD, probably choose the $ route. That said, I would not trade my 20+ now for what may have been, but I’m pretty pot-committed at this point.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Honestly, I’ve never been motivated by the size of my paycheck. The Navy has had its share of ups and downs, but I wouldn’t trade my experiences for any amount of money. I’d certainly make different career choices along the way, but even knowing what I know now, I would still have chosen the Navy over more money on the outside.

exNavyOffRec

The experiences you get from serving are experiences you will not get anywhere else and there is something to be said for doing something that makes you happy, money can buy things, allow you to visit places but it won't make you happy at work.

I have friends from growing up that chased the money and I can tell you that there are only a few that have bank accounts full of money. They work around people who also make lots of money, when you see coworkers take trips, drive nice cars, buy big houses the others tend to do the same. The more you make the more you spend it just happens.

Taxes are more than you think, if your taxable income is over 215K a year your tax rate is 35% so 4 mil becomes 2.6 mil, it is still a good chunk of money though.

Mos

None
Yes, many vets have said throughout history "they wouldnt trade their service for the world", but I mean $3million in your 30s is a lot of moolah though. Kinda makes me wonder if they meant it literally or if they just say it cause it sounds cool. I don't have that kinda money nor have I lived the life of an FO, so I'm asking you folks who have done at least one and/or possibly both.
I think most vets mean it, but also most vets don't have the opportunity you have.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are obviously smart and talented. If you play your cards right you can have that kind of money after being a NFO. If the choice is that bank account at 30 vs 40ish AND the experience and reward that came with Naval Aviation, what would.you do? Could happen. I have seen it.

SpinnyBoy

At 10 years now and committing to the next 10. I love flying, but damn I'd give anything to be sitting on 3-4 Mil right now at 32. It's been fun, but I'd 100% trade it for what you're talking about. To each his own, but financial freedom PLUS not being separated from your family for 6+ months at a time? Easy decision.

flgator92

None
On the one hand, Ive lucked out and got several job offers working in software at big tech companies in the $400k range. Nothing too exciting. Writing little code, cashing big checks.
At some point, I think, everyone has doubts about their decision in flight school - because flight school is hard. But, once you take the runway and light the cans in an F/A-18 for a max burner takeoff, you realize that earning your wings of gold as a pilot or WSO is worth it.

Frankly, coders are a dime a dozen, right? Think of all the coders and middling tech industry employees there are in the world today - far too many to count. Then think about how many Navy fighter pilots and Navy fighter RIOs/WSOs there have been in *history*. My point is: doing the latter puts you in a far more elite and incredible group. When you're flying in the Navy, you're doing incredible things daily alongside the most incredible people you'll work with in your life. That overpaid job coding and spending your 20s-30s in a cubicle will be there after you take your last flight in the Rhino. Plus, pay on the O side of the house isn't coder good, but you'll never go hungry.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This is a pretty big generality/stereotype, but you don't sound like you would make it very far in this business. I'd stick to the things that aren't "playing dress up and licking windows".....sounds like they pay well

Concur with this. If the above quoted is your opinion of service as an NFO, I find it doubtful that a.) you'll make it far, or b.) that your opinion will improve with actual time in service.

Go be a millionaire, for whatever that's worth these days. Just don't forget about us little people when you do.

Last edited:

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
Lemon Party,

It's really simple.
To Paraphrase Heinlein:
"I suddenly realized that, if I didn't take a swing at it, I would wonder all my life whether I was anything but the boss's son".

I've had an almost this exact type of Johnny Rico epiphany, as have many others. Was on the law school track as an undergrad, always kicking around the idea of being a NFO around in the back of my head. Had my come to Jesus moment and never looked back. One of my best friends from high school who was on a similar track is now a lawyer with fuck you money and hates his job. Actively looking to take at least a 50% pay cut and career change just to do something more fulfilling. Coding is coding and is probably the least possible perishable skill set there is. You could literally keep getting certs on the weekend for shits and giggles. I mean definitely don't, do get qualified in your platform and don't be a shitbag.
Money will always come if you give a shit about it that much. This chance won't. And I'm saying this as a Hawkeye Bubba.
The fat kid of the airwing. I LITERALLY lick windows.
It was the greatest time of my life.
Have a beer, watch the sunset, spend some time in your own head and make a call. Having cold feet is fine, but don't take a spot from someone who would cut off their left nut to have the chance.

I want to say it was in Flying magazine many many years ago they reported a study that less than 1% of the world's population are pilots, military aviators would be even smaller percentage of that 1%.

Take that for what it is, for me being part of a group that so many aren't is what made all the hard work worth it.

Doback

I don’t think @flyingLemonade is serious with his question but here’s a good story that I think everyone here would appreciate.

My first job was at a big bank where people made the kind of money Lemons is talking about. The CEO of the company was a big supporter of a veterans organization and part of that support was having military members nearing the end of their first service contract come into the office to get a sense for what the life of a finance professional was like. At the end of our little office tour we would sometimes ask our guests to interview for a full time job.

The first time I saw a group come through it was a bunch of young SEALs and I think a few aviators. After they finished I told my boss we should definitely hire one to an empty spot on our team. My boss turns to me and says don’t be an idiot we could never hire them, showing those guys our day to day is the best reenlistment tool the military has.

Moral of the story is 1 I don’t think people are lying when they say they wouldn’t trade it for all the money in the world and 2 Like others have said, if you really want it, the opportunity to make money will still be there when you get out.

taxi1

pilot
I am aware this may come off as a humblebrag, and Ild like to apologize in anticipation for sounding like a pompous show off. But I am in dire need of some old man wisdom and theres no better place for that than the AW community.

On the other, I have an NFO contract ship date late July. Along with all the pains and pleasures that being an AD officer for a decade carries.

I am a single mid-twenties dude who thinks that playing dress-up and licking windows around the globe full time for 8-10 years would be the coolest job ever.
But, would it be as cool as being a mid-thirties dude with $4million his bank account (prolly somewhat under $3mill after tax)?
One man's cool is another man's...well, $4M would be cool too. But if you go naval aviation you may not live to your mid-30s, making the earning potential thing a moot point.

Read the first chapter or so of The Right Stuff. Then read the essay The Truest Sport: Jousting with Sam & Charlie . Both will speak to your decision.

I was already graduated and working, and took a huge cut in pay to join the Navy and fly. ZERO REGRETS.