• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO on the way to OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NfoSean

Hey everyone I am a 22 year old college grad who was accepted into the Navy under NFO status. I am really excited to start my career, however I have been trying to find information on training as an NFO for a long time but have had no success. I report to OCS Jan 4 2003 so its right around the corner. I have found a lot of info on becoming a pilot, but us NFOs seem to be left out. If anyone can provide me with some training info that would be really great. Thank you.

MVS26

Sean,

That's pretty broad, man. OCS, then API, then Primary, then depends on what airplane you get. It's a lot of fun. Except for that whole OCS thing, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of your time in the Navy. Being an NFO is a blast, especially a student NFO. Beats the hell out of a 9-5. If you got any more specific questions, let us know.

Peace,
Matt

BYSun

Sean, have you checked out the topic "Any NFO wannabe's out there" in the NFO Forum yet. If you scroll down there are a couple of books referenced you might find useful. I am currently reading Ironclaw which is a memoir of sorts regarding a pilot's gulf war experiences, but he also covers the NFO's role in the plane. I too have been searching for anything and everything about the NFO's job specifics. If I find anythig solid I will be sure to post a reference to this site.

Congrats on the NFO slot. Just a quick question, when did you apply to OCS?

Good luck,
Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

NfoSean

I know my topic is really broad and specific. I was just trying to see who was out there as an NFO, it seems like everyone is a pilot. Something I was wondering was do pilots and NFO's seperate right after API, or after Primary?
I actually took my test for NFO about a year ago, I took my oath in Februrary 2002 I was supposed to leave in july, however i had a family emergency and had to have it pushed back. At the time the only spots available in the Navy were aviation. That makes me happy and nervous. Happy cause it is hard to get what I got but nervous cause there are goign to be a lot of really smart people at training. It should be interesting and I hope a lot of fun. THanks for all your help guys.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
Congrats on the NFO slot, I am a SNFO now in the pipeline in San Antonio.
To answer your question, Pilots and NFO's go to API together then you go your own ways. Pilots go to Whiting field, Corpus, or Moody and NFO's stay in Pensacola for primary. At the end of primary is the first split. Panel Navs go to Randolph AFB in TX and all others stay in P'cola for Intermediate. After Imed, is the second split. E-2C NFO's now leave for Norfolk for Advanced while all Strike & Strike fighter NFO's stay in P'cola for Advanced at VT-86. Good luck in OCS...It a BLAST (but for only 13 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.