• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

nfo FAC

bluesig1

sure thing
None
This might belong in the stupid questions thread, but can NFO's ever choose to be a FAC for a time period and then go back to riding in the aircraft later in thier career? kind of like the Air Force does sometimes.

I tried searching but, but I couldn't find anything on being in the air first, then doing a stint on the ground, and then going back to being in the air.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, on the Navy side, NFOs can become FAC(A)s and they can also become JTACs. I'm not sure about Marine NFOs.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the Marine side NFOs and NAs are interchangeable in regards to FAC tours. Ideally a battalion will have withing it's air shop a skid guy, an assault support guy and a F/W type (anything from NFO to C-130 to Harrier/Hornet pilot).
Not sure on the Bleu side.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
More questions

thanks for the quick reply, I knew the marines had the FACs but I wasnt sure if on the Navy side you could go to the front on the ground and go back to being in the air on another tour.

To add to the original question, is it something you get to volunteer for? Or is it something that you have to be assigned to be able to do?

phrogpilot73

bluesig1 said:
To add to the original question, is it something you get to volunteer for? Or is it something that you have to be assigned to be able to do?
In the Marine Corps, it goes both ways - you can volunteer, or you can be voluntold. I was voluntold - but knowing what I know now I would volunteer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the Marine Corps, it goes both ways - you can volunteer, or you can be voluntold. I was voluntold - but knowing what I know now I would volunteer.

Seriously, you can't keep giving us these softballs. Alright, here goes...

it goes both ways - you can volunteer, or you can be voluntold. I was voluntold - but knowing what I know now I would volunteer.

So, it's a lot like prison then (so I hear).