• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO experience on EP-3 vs Intel O?

yankees33

Good afternoon everyone. For anybody out there with reliable information or experience, I have a brief question concerning the EP-3 community. If one wanted to work for an intelligence agency after their time in the military, how would time spent as an NFO on an EP-3 (or even P-3) reflect on themselves? It seems obvious that being an intel officer would probably be more directly related to such a future field, but what about the experienced gained as an NFO on such a platform? Additionally, is it possible to work in the intelligence community as a shore tour option? Thank you very much.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good afternoon everyone. For anybody out there with reliable information or experience, I have a brief question concerning the EP-3 community. If one wanted to work for an intelligence agency after their time in the military, how would time spent as an NFO on an EP-3 (or even P-3) reflect on themselves? It seems obvious that being an intel officer would probably be more directly related to such a future field, but what about the experienced gained as an NFO on such a platform? Additionally, is it possible to work in the intelligence community as a shore tour option? Thank you very much.

It takes a village (with many trades therein)....or something like that. Do what you want to/enjoy and you'll find many, many EP-3 types in various Intel staffs/agencies. No worries there at all. There are also several regulars here (aviators both with one and two anchors) who are on or recently served shore tours in a several interesting assignments in the greater Intel Community.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
The EP-3 mission leads nicely to certain three letter agencies...but so does being an Intelligence Officer. Being an NFO is more fun, in my opinion (I'm biased, obviously)...plus you have the added "I was operational" resume builder.

There are some shore tours that are IC-related, too. PM me if you would like additional information...I figure Flash will also weigh in, as well.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The EP-3 mission leads nicely to certain three letter agencies...but so does being an Intelligence Officer. Being an NFO is more fun, in my opinion (I'm biased, obviously)...plus you have the added "I was operational" resume builder.

There are some shore tours that are IC-related, too. PM me if you would like additional information...I figure Flash will also weigh in, as well.

How'd you guess? :)

There are plenty of jobs in the Intelligence Community that aviators can go into. There are actually a number of jobs that are set aside just for aviators at certain agencies, even an office at one that is almost entirely aviators at one. While those jobs aren't as numerous as the ones for Intel O's there are enough that most aviators who want one will get one. Probably the best represented community are the VP guys though that is partly because there are so many more of them to begin with, seen more helo guys than I would have guessed and few Tacair types though they are around.

And as Sky-Pig alluded to an 'operational' in the Intel Community is quite often considered an asset over someone with a straight intel background and often gives you a wider perspective on how things fit into the grander scheme of things. Like many other job fields the intel community likes to have people with broad experiences, including a considerable amount outside the intel field, and someone with first-hand knowledge of what the 'warfighter' needs instead of just reading about it is very appealing to many of the three-letter agencies.

Sky-Pig

None
It's been "going away soon" since the day I winged back in 1995...but yes...the future is not exactly bright right now...and that is also subject to change. No matter what some folks may say...it's pretty hard to replace what an airbreathing ISR platform brings to the fight.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Last I saw was planned for 2017 but like Sky Pig said, it is still up in the air.

What's become of the EP-X project? My understanding was that Boeing was producing what is essentialy an EP-8; seems relatively inexpensive, no?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's become of the EP-X project? My understanding was that Boeing was producing what is essentialy an EP-8; seems relatively inexpensive, no?

Not sure, haven't heard anything about it in the past year or two. Boeing's EP-X proposal is just that for now, a proposal, they are only building P-8's right now and not EP-8's. It would not be an inexpensive proposition, quite the opposite. There would be substantial savings if they used the same airframe as the P-8 and it would be a really good one but since it is a completely different mission they have to do another competition, Boeing having the leg up on the competition.

I have seen some arguments that the P-8 and BAMS cold do the mission with just a few mods, I don't buy it but others may. And since the EP-X is lower down on the budget priority list than the F-35, E-2D, LCS and a whole host of other things there is always the possibility that it could fall under the axe for good, no matter how valuable it may be.

Maybe someone who is actually still in VQ could give a better update.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't the EP-3 going away soon?

Ever since Army led ACS program crashed, replacement has been an issue. Arguably demand signal is stronger in Intel side and they just took over Resource Sponsor role so "something" will end up flying the mission whether it be current platform on life support or something new and shiney.

Sky-Pig

None
The issue is not whether or not the capability that a manned ISR platform brings is desired/advantangeous...the issue is at what cost? The Navy has numerous bills to pay: F-35, P-8 and last I checked...about 300 ships. When you are given $200 to spend...you can't buy $350 worth of toys.

So the CNO has to make some really hard choices...if they proceed with an EP-X like platform...what get cuts to allow the Navy to afford it?

If I were a betting man (and I really don't have any more insight than anyone else on this site)...I'd lay money on the replacement looking a lot a Global Hawk.

Can it fully replace an EP-3? Probably not...but it costs a great deal less to build and operate...and the cost savings might be worth the loss of capability/flexibility.

That being said...I'd still select EP-3 again and roll the dice.