• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Demand 2019+

Tridon

Hey guys, question for you. Right now and in the foreseeable future how high is the demand for NFOs and what does it look to be trending towards? The Navy site says Pilots/NFOs or aviators in general are in high demand but is that just for pilot? They group them together on their website.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy has a need for NFOs for the foreseeable. About half the aircraft on flight decks have Trunk Monkeys, along with VP/VUP, and that’s not forecast to change.

Meyerkord

pilot
They're also pumping them through training pretty quickly. Most of the NFOs from my class already selected by the time the pilots started flying.

I'm in NFO Primary now. Seems like the demand is still pretty high. They're pushing us through pretty quickly. Way faster than the pilots for sure.
I second this. If you go P-8s then you could get winged before some of your OCS buddies even start flying in Primary. At least this is my personal experience.

Also, don't let anyone, including yourself, tell you that you're second to pilots. Every pilot I've ever met has had nothing but great appreciation for the work and support that NFOs provide in the aircraft.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I’d disagree, P8 NFOs have all the control for mission execution, plus the per diem lifestyle and lack of boat.

Different strokes for different folks. VP life is full of stupid BS, but the crew construct with enlisted operators tracking adversary submarines and coming back to post flight beers at the base Chilis, and set deployment timeframes is a decent gig.

Not a competition by any means, but I will say balancing family life on our deployments is nice when you are never without a phone.

Still miss aerobatics from primary and I’ll probably never feel the rush of a cat trap or launch. Jealous of the tail hook community for their long standing camaraderie. Point nose land far excels in cool factor as well. You’ll almost never sound cool talking about “operating onsta” in a P8.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It might also make one wonder why the increased incentive is offered.
Been that way for many, many years. The EW skill set is in high demand in lots of places, which does impact retention relative to other non-EW NFO platforms.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It might also make one wonder why the increased incentive is offered.
What Brett said, plus a high OPTEMPO like anywhere else in naval aviation.

Despite getting ready to transition out of the community post DH by choice, I’ve had a great experience in VAQ (awesome community culture and a great primary place to be stationed). I would definitely keep going if being a CO appealed to me / if the OPTEMPO wasn’t so high (kids are finally getting old enough to realize that dad is gone a lot).