• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Commander of USS Harry S. Truman

alwyn2nd

As of July 2019. Capt Kavon Hakimzapeh (pronounced HA-KEEM-ZA-DAY) became the new commander of the USS Harry S Truman. Born in the US, mother American and the father Iranian. Would he be the first NFO (E-2 community) in commanding a carrier? Love America. They even allow NFOs to command aircraft carriers.

Python

pilot
Contributor
As of July 2019. Capt Kavon Hakimzapeh (pronounced HA-KEEM-ZA-DAY) became the new commander of the USS Harry S Truman. Born in the US, mother American and the father Iranian. Would he be the first NFO (E-2 community) in commanding a carrier? Love America. They even allow NFOs to command aircraft carriers.

CAPT Thomas was the CO of the Carl Vinson 5 years ago and was an E-2 NFO. It’s not a big deal.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor point of order... One who commands a ship is the Captain, so the proper phraseology would be "the new Captain of the USS Harry S. Truman. Captain is the noun, while command is the verb. On the other hand, one who commands a Carrier Strike Group (for example), is called the Commander. A bit confusing, but you'll get used to it.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Minor point of order... One who commands a ship is the Captain, so the proper phraseology would be "the new Captain of the USS Harry S. Truman. Captain is the noun, while command is the verb. On the other hand, one who commands a Carrier Strike Group (for example), is called the Commander. A bit confusing, but you'll get used to it.
giphy.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would constantly have to change my NATOPS paperwork when on Wing staff. I'd submit it with the Commanding Officer's title as "Commander" which would then get changed to "Captain." I'd then have to send an email telling NATOPS I hadn't signed my paperwork because they needed to change it back to "Commander." I think once there were more fliers on the Wing staff, the NATOPS office finally caught on, but when I first got there the only fliers were me and the front office.

alwyn2nd

I would constantly have to change my NATOPS paperwork when on Wing staff. I'd submit it with the Commanding Officer's title as "Commander" which would then get changed to "Captain." I'd then have to send an email telling NATOPS I hadn't signed my paperwork because they needed to change it back to "Commander." I think once there were more fliers on the Wing staff, the NATOPS office finally caught on, but when I first got there the only fliers were me and the front office.

Has there ever been a Captain helo pilot of an aircraft carrier?

Farva01

BKR
pilot
CAPT Lausman, who was the CO of the GW when I was in CVW-5, was a helo guy. Not a good dude.

However, CAPT Riebe on the TR is a great dude. Been great working with him. The current CO of the TR is a great guy as well. They actually changed the rules for him. It used to be a requirement to have done your CO tour in a carrier squadron. He was an S-3 DH and then commanded a VP squadron. Now the requirement is DH in a carrier squadron.