• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Board v SNA Board

exNavyOffRec

Why is that? Seems it would be equally sought after.

I rarely ran into a person that said they wanted to go aviation but not be a pilot, there were a few.

It is also all numbers, every aircraft needs a pilot, not every aircraft needs a NFO, and it is not uncommon for those that go SNA that become NPQ for SNA at OCS to get moved to NFO if they meet the physical requirements.. In a way everything filters from SNA.

When I started a very successful officer recruiter who was teaching at the schoolhouse told me look for Pilots and nukes, you do that everything will work out, everyone I know that followed that line of thinking was very successful.

exNavyOffRec

If I had to guess, NFO slots aren't being filled to the same rate as SNA and the NRD is trying to address that by encouraging you to apply NFO.

That is probable, more likely at the NRD level for the needs of application goaling, too many commands think just about themselves and not the applicant, I can't tell you how many applicants I had just because of the word that got out on how we treated our officer candidates.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Even if you don't get picked from the NFO to Pilot transition, I'd still be happy, because being in the air is a whole lot better than being on a ship. Ask yourself this: Do I really think being on a ship is going to feel better not being in a jet? :confused:

Why is that? Seems it would be equally sought after.

The service commitment is also shorter for an FO.
This is why you should just STFU.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...As for FO to Pilot transition, it happens, but it certainly isn't common. The easiest way to be a pilot is to come in the front door as a SNA. If you can't get in the front door, then its time to think about the back door.

There are a limited number of spots a year and while folks do get them the percentages are small. They even suspended the program for approximately 5 years in the late 90's, I think the main reason it is kept open now is as a small incentive program for FO's.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
This is why you should just STFU.
giphy.gif

Back to my man cave kremlin

WillH

I found out yesterday my tattoo waiver was approved, and now my application is on to the quality control process. Does anyone know what that means? :) I keep thinking my application is complete and then there is one more step.

Last edited:

scsmith43

pilot
I found out yesterday my tattoo waiver was approved, and now my application is on to the quality control process. Does anyone know what that means? :) I keep thinking my application is complete and there is one more step.
My recruiter said the same thing about the quality control check and a few weeks later notified me that my kit is up with no issues. I'm not sure what it specifically entails.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you want to be a pilot first put it first. End of story. Don't let someone else's recruiting quotas drive what you want to do with your life and career. IF you get selected for your second choice then so be it but don't let someone talk you out of changing your choices for their own sake.

You have a snowballs chance in hell of transitioning from FO to Pilot. If you get picked up for it, it's also likely to be the death of your career these days.

Don't worry about FO shortages, many pilots become FOs along the way in training so they can get their numbers from pilot attrites/npqs etc.

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
If you want to be a pilot first put it first. End of story. Don't let someone else's recruiting quotas drive what you want to do with your life and career. IF you get selected for your second choice then so be it but don't let someone talk you out of changing your choices for their own sake.

You have a snowballs chance in hell of transitioning from FO to Pilot. If you get picked up for it, it's also likely to be the death of your career these days.

Don't worry about FO shortages, many pilots become FOs along the way in training so they can get their numbers from pilot attrites/npqs etc.

+1 this. From my experience, stucon at API hears people asking about switching from NFO to pilot all the time and they have little patience to entertain the thought. Long story short, it usually doesn't happen for a number of reason. Namely, from what I've seen/heard/felt, NFOs are pretty undermanned right now.

jugg34naut

pilot
I was Pro rec yes for both SNA and SNFO. Many of my OCS classmates told the same story. Put what you want and be ready accept positive and negative results.