• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Board v SNA Board

WillH

I just spoke with the commander of my recruiting district who talked to me about applying for NFO first instead of SNA. My application is almost done, but a tattoo waiver was just submitted to him for review. He said I'm on the edge with the tattoos, and I also have a pretty weak GPA. He pushed pretty hard for me to go for NFO(he was an NFO) first, and I told him that while I'd be happy with NFO I want to at least try for SNA.

Does anyone know if putting SNA as the first choice has a negative effect on applying for NFO as a second choice? I really hope I didn't screw myself out of getting either one.

Sorry if there has been a similar post to this, I didn't have time to do a thorough search. Thanks!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never has. Hopefully someone with recent experience can confirm that.

exNavyOffRec

I just spoke with the commander of my recruiting district who talked to me about applying for NFO first instead of SNA. My application is almost done, but a tattoo waiver was just submitted to him for review. He said I'm on the edge with the tattoos, and I also have a pretty weak GPA. He pushed pretty hard for me to go for NFO(he was an NFO) first, and I told him that while I'd be happy with NFO I want to at least try for SNA.

Does anyone know if putting SNA as the first choice has a negative effect on applying for NFO as a second choice? I really hope I didn't screw myself out of getting either one.

Sorry if there has been a similar post to this, I didn't have time to do a thorough search. Thanks!

The board doesn't care, historically SNA has selection numbers than NFO

WillH

The recruiter I am working with said he had previously gotten a verbal yes regarding my tattoos from the Ops, and he(officer recruiter) told me it definitely wouldn't be an issue before we actually filled out the paperwork. We filled out paperwork regarding the tattoos late last week to submit for a waiver.

I spoke with the Ops(not sure what that stands for) today and he was asking me if I would be okay putting NFO first and I said the same thing to him. He didn't put any pressure on my though but just said the commander would be calling me later to discuss it.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
There is a lateral program you can do in the case you get picked up for NFO, where you can transition to NA. I don't know much of the details about it, but a quick Google search pops up the information.

Not necessarily relevant to your question, but since yours had been answered, I'd thrown in that bit just as a "just in case."

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Even if you don't get picked from the NFO to Pilot transition, I'd still be happy, because being in the air is a whole lot better than being on a ship. Ask yourself this: Do I really think being on a ship is going to feel better not being in a jet? :confused:

WillH

Yea, I would absolutely be happy as an NFO or even with another officer position in the Navy and I told him this. I also said I'd feel better if I at least go for SNA. It made me a little nervous because I was told that if I put NFO as my second choice I might not get picked up for either.

exNavyOffRec

Yea, I would absolutely be happy as an NFO or even with another officer position in the Navy and I told him this. I also said I'd feel better if I at least go for SNA. It made me a little nervous because I was told that if I put NFO as my second choice I might not get picked up for either.

Not sure why but it sounds like they are blowing smoke up your ass, there have been many picked up with ASTB scores below yours and GPA below yours, there are way more SNA spots than NFO spots each year.

Winn Dixie

CAPT, SC, USN
If I had to guess, NFO slots aren't being filled to the same rate as SNA and the NRD is trying to address that by encouraging you to apply NFO. As mentioned earlier, you need to put first what you want first. Maybe you won't get your first choice, but you need to make your preference known.

As for FO to Pilot transition, it happens, but it certainly isn't common. The easiest way to be a pilot is to come in the front door as a SNA. If you can't get in the front door, then its time to think about the back door.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Not sure why but it sounds like they are blowing smoke up your ass, there have been many picked up with ASTB scores below yours and GPA below yours, there are way more SNA spots than NFO spots each year.
Why is that? Seems it would be equally sought after.