• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nfo Bdcp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

I'm sure you guys are sick of questions like this but I was interested in knowing if you could give me an idea as to how competative BDCP is for NFO. From what I've read it seems pretty easy to get an SNFO slot with PLC but what about BDCP? Do any of you have an idea as to how many people who apply are selected?

Thank you.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I was rejected SNFO a couple months ago. These are my stats. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Graduating May 2007
60 OAR on ASTB
3.10 G.P.A. Aerospace Engineering major.
Dean's list 2x

5 letters of rec: 1 from Navy Commander, 1 from Navy LT, 1 from the Dean of student programs at my old school, 1 from the project manager of the patriot missile project at lockheed, 1 from Phd Technical writing professor.

Member of the national collegiate dean's list
2 years high school rifle team (closest thing to sports I could put on my app)
300+ hrs community service and other kinds of volunteer work noted on app
2 years editor-in-chief for community colleges newspaper
3 yrs high school NJROTC
400 simulator flight hours (my recruiter thought i should put this on my app, but I don't know if it should been.)
Good reading writing and speaking spanish

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I got it on my second try... comparable stats to godspeed. Big thing is, don't give up; apply soon, and keep applying.

Well they took me

I was actually just finally selected this past monday as an NFO for the BDCP. Just to give you a little background I graduate in DEC '05 with a 3.66 in Industrial Engineering.

I thought my application was ok but not great. When I took the ASTB ( I think my score was a 63???) I scored fairly well and my recruiter told me that because of that I had a good chance.

When I was applying I think I heard they take about 80-90 people a year.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Godspeed

pilot
From what I have experienced and seen, the number of people that APPLY remains somewhat constant over short periods of time. It is dependant on PR, military popularity, etc. I am sure there is someone on here that has a better idea of what causes people to apply.

What I can tell you is that the number of people that are ACCEPTED or SLOTTED varies GREATLY. Especially in these times. For example, my NRD slotted 80 pilots in the BDCP program last FY. This FY, they have only slotted 2, and we are somewhat far in to the FY. They are on track to slot a total of 9 if they keep this pace up.

There are two words that you should know and understand like the back of your hand that describe your "chances" of getting slotted. TIMING & NUMBERS. Or synonymously Just as vette said, "the needs of the navy."

Stay after your dreams. I was shooting for a flight slot, but it just isn't happening right now (denied). The slots are too few. I plan on applying for a redesignation in a year or so, if that fails, I will try to redesignate at OCS, if that doesn't work, I will gladly serve the navy as a supply officer (what i am currently slotted for) for four years. After that, I will be 26 years old (still young enough to go to flight training), and will apply for a lateral transfer.

I am hoping that out of those 4 opportunities, timing and numbers will be on my side. If you have the same "keep trying" mentality, you will get what you want.

Many of these selected SNFO's and SNA's had to apply more than once (some more than twice) to get in. Don't let competition affect you at all. You are in charge of your life. Go for it, and MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Don't get discouraged Phat... a lot of it depends on WHEN your graduating... If you thinking about an 05 slot (simple no (no magic eight ball will tell you otherwise)). 06 (maybe) and your chances are only better the further out in advance you apply because your competing against less people. My stats are not near as impressive as Godspeed's (but I'm better looking so that may have had something to do with it), anything can happen the worst they can say is no... and then if you really want it you apply again.

Physicx

Banned
Its all luck.It seems that SNA is popular and there are people who got on with way worse stats then you.I plan on applying after getting PRK and hopefully by then the there will be more slots.

Godspeed

pilot
Yeah as KYC said, I prolly didn't get it because im the ugliest bastard on the market. I look like the elephant man on crack. You got it physics, timing and numbers.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BDCP quotas tend to be be fairly reliable since it is just a guess way into the future as to the estimated needs of the Navy. No manning crisis to fiddle with out into the future. The "in year" non-BDCP quotas are the ones that tend to bounce around some. You will also see a program filled up and then a couple guys sneak in because the day their app came in a guy previously selected changed his mind or went NPQ and the Navy need some one right then. BDCP runs around 80 per year for NFO and 90 for pilots. If you have graduated or will graduate in time to go to OCS before July '05 there may be new NFO opporunities. I just was briefed that NFO numbers went up for '05. Remember, to be a '05 select you have to go to OCS so as to get commissioned by 1OCT05, start of the new fiscal year. That means you have to be at OCS by July '05. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.