• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO B.S. Degree

Avaition Hungry

Hello everyone! My name is Zane and I am new to this forum. I recently turned 20 years old and I am currently attending a 2 year junior college in California with plans to transfer to UCSB, UCSD, Calpoly SLO or SDSU. I would love to become a commercial airline pilot, but only after I get my chance to fly a jet with a chance to give back to my country. I have been doing alot of research and talking with Navy recruiters about the Navys BDCP and I am very interested in joining this program.

I have begun to take classes to recieve my Private Pilots License and I love it. I am 6'2, 200 pounds, and I run 5 miles about three times a week wile working out at the gym everyday. I am confident in my phyisical abilities as well as my cognitive abilities. But I am at a puase in the road because I have no idea what to major in.

I would love to minor in Astronomy as that's what gives me that joy deep inside. I say a minor because to my knowlege, who wants to hire an astronomy major? haha, Anyway, I am currently taking calculus and physics and I was thinking about either Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.

I guess my question is what do most Aviators major in, and how relavent is the degree to the likely hood of becoming an aviator?

Also, I have been flying a Tecnam Bravo during my flying lessons, and I wanted to know what would be the best type of plane to learn on. I figured that since the Tacnam is lighter than the Cessna, I would be forced to learn faster when learning how to trim correctly and use my rudders properly. Does that seem logical or am I just making stuff up? haha, Thank you to all who read this.

Please excuse my typing errors

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to AirWarriors Avaiti.. Aiviat... Avati... Flying Hungry!

It's great that you are interested in a career in Naval Aviation. Nearly all of your questions have been answered here, in some cases dozens of times before. We are currently in the process of upgrading the website, so the search function may be a bit squirrely, but with some patience I bet you can find previous threads that covers these topics.

After you have spent some time digging through the AW archive, feel free to start a thread with questions that are unique to your situation, as opposed to common across nearly all Naval Aviation hopefuls.

GlennH

fail. FYI an NFO is a naval flight officer which is different from a pilot (I assume that is what you are going for).

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Well, the guy can laugh at himself... I say he's on the right track so far.

Absolutely...as far as what to major in...I graduated with a BS in Aerospace Administration. I was Pro Rec'd NFO last month. The Navy prefers technical majors (especially for BDCP and aviation) but there are guys in with Psychology degrees, etc. Best of luck.

bob88899

I have a sociology/anthropology degree and was pro-reced NFO... i dont think it matters what you get your B.S. in as long as its from an acredited university... definatley get it in something your going to do well in... nothing like getting into something thats over your head... that you arent even interested in...

damcrac

Final Select NFO
I was selected NFO with a B.S. in Music Education. I would recommend you pick a degree you have interested in, and can really do well in. Get that GPA up and do your community service.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
... I am currently taking calculus and physics and I was thinking about either Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. I guess my question is what do most Aviators major in, and how relavent is the degree to the likely hood of becoming an aviator?

I get this question a lot when I meet a number of "young minds" and my advice to them is to get a ME, EE or CE degree. With any one of those, you can do just about anything you are physically and mentally qualified for. They are demanding degrees. It was stated earlier, technical degrees are very desirable by the military. You will get the hard sell for nuc power with your calc and calc based physics under your belt so be ready.

...I wanted to know what would be the best type of plane to learn on. I figured that since the Tacnam is lighter than the Cessna, ...

If you have your heart set on getting your FAA ticket prior to military training, then go for it. Just pick one and get it done. Fly a bunch of different ones and if you have the time and money, go for your instrument and multiengine. When you report for API and TRACOM, show up, shut up and learn the military way of flying... "fresh putty." The guys in my class who had FAA tickets did well when they let the instructor do the asking about previous flying experience. Otherwise, waiting is okay too.

...Please excuse my typing errors

Why? Half the fun is bustin' on each other. Grow thick skin quickly. :icon_wink

dirtydog

I was told a History B.A. is the classic pilot degree and that's what I am.

But I second the advice to get an engineering degree. The doors that open are way more than what I can do with a History B.A. The issue is that you need to be able to hack it with the grades in engineering, which I knew I couldn't.

The ultimate advice I have is in the end, study what you love. If you aren't enjoying your studies, then you should probably look for another major.