• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO applicant with color defect (mild)

Sentll762

Hello, I would like to lead off by saying THANK YOU to this website as a whole. I take my ASTB in approximately 2 weeks and this has been a gold mine of information.

A quick background, I did MEPS back in 2012 and found out I had a mild color defect. I recently have decided I want to pursue a career as an Officer in the Navy, and have my medical this coming week and board at the end of the month. I am fully aware that for pilot this is a dead stop, no waivers no exceptions. I have been unable to find a concrete answer anywhere, Reddit was split about 50/50 on an answer if I could waiver for NFO. Some people saying they know a guy who is an NFO with similar things etc. I was hoping to get someone with first hand experience in working with, or who became an NFO with this condition. I honestly had no idea I was even color deficient until I did meps in 2012, I see red and green just fine (or thought I did) my entire life. I know the plate test is where I had the struggles, I am not sure if I passed the green light / red light test.

My recruiter is acting like it is not a big deal, but my biggest fear is to go in and get it. Then get a separation months down the line for it and be SOL.

I am also interested in SWO and Intel, I am aware this would have no effect for intel. However I also find a lot of disagreement on this effecting SWO.

Any experience and advice would be appreciated.

mareid2

pilot
Id say focus on prep for your test and worry about waivers after. Makes no matter if you don't get picked up. Not sure where you got the dead end for pilots info, but I'm currently flying with a mild deutan deficiency waiver. Like you, I never failed a color vision test until I joined. Can't imagine the condition isn't waiverable for NFO if it is for pilot, but I'll admit I didn't look it up. Could be able to find it on the NAMI site. I believe the FALANT test (2 light test) is done and being replaced with the CCT which is a laptop based test. I wasnt able to fly in the AF because I couldn't pass that one, but the Navy standards aren't nearly as strict. Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions. Good luck

exNavyOffRec

If you can pass the test you will be fine, if not well...., one of my applicants that of all things was the son of a friend of mine had a mild color deficiency, he had a private license as the FAA I guess didn't care, but the USN DQ'd him from SWO, SNA, SNFO, etc......

snake020

Contributor
Hello, I would like to lead off by saying THANK YOU to this website as a whole. I take my ASTB in approximately 2 weeks and this has been a gold mine of information.

A quick background, I did MEPS back in 2012 and found out I had a mild color defect. I recently have decided I want to pursue a career as an Officer in the Navy, and have my medical this coming week and board at the end of the month. I am fully aware that for pilot this is a dead stop, no waivers no exceptions. I have been unable to find a concrete answer anywhere, Reddit was split about 50/50 on an answer if I could waiver for NFO. Some people saying they know a guy who is an NFO with similar things etc. I was hoping to get someone with first hand experience in working with, or who became an NFO with this condition. I honestly had no idea I was even color deficient until I did meps in 2012, I see red and green just fine (or thought I did) my entire life. I know the plate test is where I had the struggles, I am not sure if I passed the green light / red light test.

My recruiter is acting like it is not a big deal, but my biggest fear is to go in and get it. Then get a separation months down the line for it and be SOL.

I am also interested in SWO and Intel, I am aware this would have no effect for intel. However I also find a lot of disagreement on this effecting SWO.

Any experience and advice would be appreciated.

Color vision is not waived for entry any URL community. Only exceptions I know of are where the officer is already qualified in their community.

If this is your only barrier, it's not a restriction for most of the other officer communities.