• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Age Requirement

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks! I wonder if I should even ask my recruiter why I was accepted then? I'm glad I'm in in any case but am curious as to what made it different for me.

It's really a small window too. I turn 27 at the very end of November and should graduate the last week of January due to the 10 days or so of leave in December.

Agree with the above. Age is a very big factor in selection. There are decades of data that indicate a candidate is more likely to DOR the older he is. It isn't lineal either. Get past 25 and it just shoots up. So I'd say that if you were selected on the high side of the limit then your app must have looked pretty good and they decided to take a chance on you. Don't mention it. They probably know what they did. Don't disappoint them. They won't be so generous with the next 26 year old DEPer.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
Wow. I didn't realize just how lucky I was at the time I commissioned at age 27 (2 months after my 27th birthday). Guess I blew the curve too as far as DOR goes since I'm on the high end of that spectrum.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. I didn't realize just how lucky I was at the time I commissioned at age 27 (2 months after my 27th birthday). Guess I blew the curve too as far as DOR goes since I'm on the high end of that spectrum.
I suspect when guys like you sneak by they were planning on getting you into a class sooner then they did. Sh!t happened and they just said, "whatever", and let it slide. Glad it has worked out for you.

Just for those passing through, note that E2cougar or anyone else that commissioned over 27 w/o prior service ever asked for, or got, an age waiver. Don't go asking your recruiter for an age waiver because your read here that it happens.

ash.giger

I suspect when guys like you sneak by they were planning on getting you into a class sooner then they did. Sh!t happened and they just said, "whatever", and let it slide. Glad it has worked out for you.

Just for those passing through, note that E2cougar or anyone else that commissioned over 27 w/o prior service ever asked for, or got, an age waiver. Don't go asking your recruiter for an age waiver because your read here that it happens.

From what I've read in this and numerous other threads, I need to shift my momentum from USN and look at the US Army. I'm 29, about to turn 30 and that's well past the point where I could "sneak by," regardless whether or not I'm near a deadline or they have quotas to fill. I don't know any generals so I have to accept this reality that traditional military jets are not a possibility for me. I appreciate the honesty of the comments in these posts.

For anyone else in my position, who wants to give the Army a look, I've found a resource if you're interested: http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/cfrm/f/5151093521 (Mods, I hope this is ok to post this link).

Good luck to everyone who isn't an old fart like me.

BullGator

From what I've read in this and numerous other threads, I need to shift my momentum from USN and look at the US Army. I'm 29, about to turn 30 and that's well past the point where I could "sneak by," regardless whether or not I'm near a deadline or they have quotas to fill. I don't know any generals so I have to accept this reality that traditional military jets are not a possibility for me. I appreciate the honesty of the comments in these posts.

For anyone else in my position, who wants to give the Army a look, I've found a resource if you're interested: http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/cfrm/f/5151093521 (Mods, I hope this is ok to post this link).

Good luck to everyone who isn't an old fart like me.
You too man, good luck. Study for that AFAST and kick some butt.

Gabriel

Agree with the above. Age is a very big factor in selection. There are decades of data that indicate a candidate is more likely to DOR the older he is. It isn't lineal either. Get past 25 and it just shoots up. So I'd say that if you were selected on the high side of the limit then your app must have looked pretty good and they decided to take a chance on you. Don't mention it. They probably know what they did. Don't disappoint them. They won't be so generous with the next 26 year old DEPer.

DOR in OCS or flight school? If I go in at 28/29 years old and get through OCS will I have a better shot at RIO (ofcourse not guaranteed).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But on the bright side, you could soon be an EWO. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DOR in OCS or flight school? If I go in at 28/29 years old and get through OCS will I have a better shot at RIO (ofcourse not guaranteed).

WSO (RIO), ECMO. TACCO, etc, all depends on performance in Flight school and needs of the Navy. Age, at that point, and OCS performance means nothing.

Gabriel

Sorry about the gay jargon. I talk to the VP where I work about NAVY stuff all the time. He is in his 60's so that's how we talk. You know Corsairs... A4s... that kind of stuff. But definitley, thanks for the info! It's looking like intel for me guys.