• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Age Requirement

Wiley

I called my recruiter today to set up a time for me to come in and take the ASTB and he informed me that because I am 27 years old I will have to get a waiver to become an NFO. I have seen many threads on this site that say that the NFO age restriction is 30. Can anyone provide me with an official document that clarifies this?

I chatted with someone on Navy.com who said 30 and sent me to this site
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm#2
This says 30 but if you click for more information beside NFO in the blue box it pulls up a page that says 27

This site also says 27 for NFO (doesn't apply to me because I'm not prior)
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/options.html#nfo

:confused: wtf

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I'll be turning 27 while at OCS and I'm going NFO. Everything I have read says 30 and I don't think they would have accepted me if my age didn't meet requirements...I think?

shujaa

age requirement

I also got the same question on age waivers.Did you get the answers?

I called my recruiter today to set up a time for me to come in and take the ASTB and he informed me that because I am 27 years old I will have to get a waiver to become an NFO. I have seen many threads on this site that say that the NFO age restriction is 30. Can anyone provide me with an official document that clarifies this?

I chatted with someone on Navy.com who said 30 and sent me to this site
http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm#2
This says 30 but if you click for more information beside NFO in the blue box it pulls up a page that says 27

This site also says 27 for NFO (doesn't apply to me because I'm not prior)
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/options.html#nfo

:confused: wtf

cricket_cricket

27 - Plus 4 (priors)

I was 29 when I went through OCS (2006) and had to get a waiver. It was an automatic waiver for my prior service.

The max age should still be 27, and up to 31 for prior E's is automatic. Anything over that or if you are coming in off the street will be "case by case" and needs of the Navy.

The process for me was to simply put in on my application to the board, I believe it simply stated, "Request age restriction waiver for 10 years prior service."

Good luck.

There's a waiver for anything, and if there's not, make one up or make a waiver for a waiver. I've seen some crzy waivers over the years.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFO max age has been 27 for a long time and I have not heard of it changing lately. Age waiver with prior service only. The prior waiver will take you to 30, that is where that number came from. The limit is commissioned by 27. Dimlight may have just slipped through by luck. Maybe his class date changed and they decided not to withdraw the offer, maybe the move to R.I. had something to do with it. I have not seen an age waiver for a guy that was not prior service.

Wiley

Yea, the answer that I got was 27 as well but my recruiter still told me to come in and take the test anyways... I'm hoping for a miracle! I take the ASTB on Thursday so I'll let you know what I find out.

Lobster

Yea, the answer that I got was 27 as well but my recruiter still told me to come in and take the test anyways... I'm hoping for a miracle! I take the ASTB on Thursday so I'll let you know what I find out.

Good Luck on the ASTB!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

He wants you to come in and take the test so he can see if you will buy a program with a higher age limit. Nothing wrong with that. Given more info you may just decide to apply for something other then NFO. But don't expect him to say he worked out a deal just for you.

DonSolo

I am in a similar situation. I havent spoken to a recruiter yet, and Ive been reviewing these threads to gain some more info and from what I have seen, I may have missed the boat to become an NFO. I am curious about the "case by case" statement. Heres a little on my background (You guys might think Im crazy for wanting to go NFO):

I have a B.S. from Embry-Riddle in FL, and M.S. from Univ. of TN. I currently work as an engineer for a major aerospace corporation. I have some flight training, and I obviously have an in-depth knowledge of aircraft systems. No previous military experience outside of 3 semesters of ROTC.

When I originally began looking into NFO opportunities, the only age restriction I saw was 30. Evidently that is not the case anymore. I see that the Navy is now accepting warrant officer applicants for Naval Aviator slots. Is this indicative of a dire need for aviation trainees? I was wondering if I now have any realistic shot at becoming an NFO?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am in a similar situation. I havent spoken to a recruiter yet, and Ive been reviewing these threads to gain some more info and from what I have seen, I may have missed the boat to become an NFO. I am curious about the "case by case" statement. Heres a little on my background (You guys might think Im crazy for wanting to go NFO):

I have a B.S. from Embry-Riddle in FL, and M.S. from Univ. of TN. I currently work as an engineer for a major aerospace corporation. I have some flight training, and I obviously have an in-depth knowledge of aircraft systems. No previous military experience outside of 3 semesters of ROTC.

When I originally began looking into NFO opportunities, the only age restriction I saw was 30. Evidently that is not the case anymore. I see that the Navy is now accepting warrant officer applicants for Naval Aviator slots. Is this indicative of a dire need for aviation trainees? I was wondering if I now have any realistic shot at becoming an NFO?

Very unlikely you will make it if you do not meet the 27 by commissioning limit. The book says you have to be prior service for a waiver. The guys that claim to be over age do not claim they asked for and got a waiver. If they are over by a month or so it was dumb luck or other circumstances intervened and they were allowed to stay in the program. The WO program has nothing to do with problems recruiting aviators. The navy has folks lined up to take aviation quotas. But hey, don't trust an old salt over the INTERNET. Call a recruiter and find out fro yourself, and do it NOW! Never know, maybe the age changed last Friday.

dimlight85

I have found two sources that say the age limit is 30 for non-priors and 32 with a waiver for prior service. The only source I have found that says the age limit is 27 is on one of the links on one of the wepages that also says it's 30.

The OPNAV 1420.1A says 30 and so does the CNRC site but this link on the CNRC site is where it says 27. That link is right next to the heading that says "NAVAL AVIATION - NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER (NFO) (02/13750)." The link just says "click for more information." I don't know why there would be conflicting info on the same site but there it is. The OPNAV 1420.1A seems to be the latest official Navy instruction on the matter however.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have found two sources that say the age limit is 30 for non-priors and 32 with a waiver for prior service. The only source I have found that says the age limit is 27 is on one of the links on one of the wepages that also says it's 30.

The OPNAV 1420.1A says 30 and so does the CNRC site but this link on the CNRC site is where it says 27. That link is right next to the heading that says "NAVAL AVIATION - NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER (NFO) (02/13750)." The link just says "click for more information." I don't know why there would be conflicting info on the same site but there it is. The OPNAV 1420.1A seems to be the latest official Navy instruction on the matter however.
The only real source that matters is an informed officer programs recruiter. Can't say why the conflicting info but it may simply be wrong, not updated or you might just be misinterpreting it. The max age is different for those that come from the fleet in designator changes. And, of course, it is different for prior service enlisted. Make sure you are talking apples and apples, no oranges. The 1420.1A link is for enlisted to officer assesions and is over 4 years old. That would be of no value to the original poster. CNRC frequently sets lower or more stringent limits based on market forces and recruiting goals. What a competent, informed officer recruiter says is as good as it gets. You can bank on it.

About your case. I just read your profile and I understand you have been in enlisted DEP for a year now and are now an NFO select. I am sure the fact that you have been "enlisted", although inactive, (DEP) was a factor in you slipping by the age 27 limit. I have never seen a guy that would be too old at commissioning ask for and get a waiver for age.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

Read and heed.

OPNAVINST 1420.1A
Basic Eligibility Requirements. Applicants must be
(1) citizens of the United States. This cannot be
waived.
(2) of good moral character and have no record of
disciplinary action within 3 years of application.
(3) possess a baccalaureate degree or advanced degree
from an accredited institution.
(4) at least 19 years old and meet designator specific
age limitations which are outlined in MILPERSMAN 1131-010.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/milpers/1131-010.htm

dimlight85

Thanks! I wonder if I should even ask my recruiter why I was accepted then? I'm glad I'm in in any case but am curious as to what made it different for me.

It's really a small window too. I turn 27 at the very end of November and should graduate the last week of January due to the 10 days or so of leave in December.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks! I wonder if I should even ask my recruiter why I was accepted then? I'm glad I'm in in any case but am curious as to what made it different for me.

It's really a small window too. I turn 27 at the very end of November and should graduate the last week of January due to the 10 days or so of leave in December.

SSSHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!