• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO after military?

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Unless the rules have changed, an NFO sitting upfront with a stick in front of them (S-3, C-12) can log co-pilot time in a civilian log book. When I was Air Ops O in Roossy Roads, we had an S-3 NFO and an F-14 RIO who both logged co-pilot time flying in the front right seat of the C-12. They both got their civilian tickets (private pilot single and multi and instrument rating; total cost about $2500 in the early '90s) and are now airline pilots. In my last squadron, a reserve A6 outfit, we had four B/N's who were airlines pilots. All had completed a 'professional pilot' course (about 300 hours total or so) and, combined with their NFO time, were accepted by major airlines.

Check with any airline types you know.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless the rules have changed, an NFO sitting upfront with a stick in front of them (S-3, C-12) can log co-pilot time in a civilian log book. When I was Air Ops O in Roossy Roads, we had an S-3 NFO and an F-14 RIO who both logged co-pilot time flying in the front right seat of the C-12. They both got their civilian tickets (private pilot single and multi and instrument rating; total cost about $2500 in the early '90s) and are now airline pilots. In my last squadron, a reserve A6 outfit, we had four B/N's who were airlines pilots. All had completed a 'professional pilot' course (about 300 hours total or so) and, combined with their NFO time, were accepted by major airlines.

Check with any airline types you know.

True enough, but with the S-3 all but gone and the chances for an NFO to have access to a C-12 rare in the extreme, this opportunity is OBE.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmm, I always asked somewhat the same questions when I was a junior enlisted. "What kind of quals and certificates can I get fixing airplanes that will help me to get a job at Boeing or United Airlines maintenance?"

Here I am still in 25 years later!

It doesn't get better than Naval Aviation! (flying or maintenance) Bar none.

What CAN you guys gets in the civilian market? Can you get A&Ps?