• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO after military?

Slaps22

I have put in an application to OCS and I was wandering what I would do if given an NFO slot. My ultimate goal is to fly civilian after I leave the military whether it be commercial, corporate, etc. I was wondering if NFOs get to log their time as flight time even though they aren't actually flying the aircraft. In other words, could an NFO go to an airline or company and say they have flight time? Has anyone ever done this or heard of this because I haven't? Basically, do NFOs count as pilots on the civilian side? Thanks for any input.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have put in an application to OCS and I was wandering what I would do if given an NFO slot. My ultimate goal is to fly civilian after I leave the military whether it be commercial, corporate, etc. I was wondering if NFOs get to log their time as flight time even though they aren't actually flying the aircraft. In other words, could an NFO go to an airline or company and say they have flight time? Has anyone ever done this or heard of this because I haven't? Basically, do NFOs count as pilots on the civilian side? Thanks for any input.

No. NFOs log their flight time, but it doesn't count for the airlines. BTW, one thread is enough.

Brett

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Maybe if this question is asked enough times, the answer will change.

fudog50

Hmmm, I always asked somewhat the same questions when I was a junior enlisted. "What kind of quals and certificates can I get fixing airplanes that will help me to get a job at Boeing or United Airlines maintenance?"

Here I am still in 25 years later!

It doesn't get better than Naval Aviation! (flying or maintenance) Bar none.

East

东部
Contributor
From another thread

Know what?
Maint departments of Civil Airlines are equally run as those in the military.
Same structure, same duties and responsabilities.
Even the comradery is the same.

Just switched and it suits me fine...

Slaps22

Yea thanks Brett...I just wanted to make sure everyone had the wonderful opportunity to read my question. The answer yall gave me isn't the one I was looking for, but I'm glad I know. So what kind of jobs are in the civilian world that a retired NFO might want to jump into? Also, if I do get a slot for NFO should I try to reapply for a pilot slot since that is really what I want to do? I know this sounds disgraceful or disrespectful because NFO is a damn good job and I would enjoy it, but it would tease me being in a Hornet or Prowler and not being able to take the controls. I hope yall understand and again any input is greatly appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea thanks Brett...I just wanted to make sure everyone had the wonderful opportunity to read my question. The answer yall gave me isn't the one I was looking for, but I'm glad I know. So what kind of jobs are in the civilian world that a retired NFO might want to jump into? Also, if I do get a slot for NFO should I try to reapply for a pilot slot since that is really what I want to do? I know this sounds disgraceful or disrespectful because NFO is a damn good job and I would enjoy it, but it would tease me being in a Hornet or Prowler and not being able to take the controls. I hope yall understand and again any input is greatly appreciated.

This topic has been discussed many times here on AW. I recommend you use the search function and read what others have said already. Bottom line, if you want to be a pilot (especially commercial after the Navy), then NFO isn't going to be much help to you. There are several former NFOs here who are now commercial pilots (HAL, Wink, Etc), but the hours you get in the Navy won't help you towards that goal.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There are several former NFOs here who are now commercial pilots (HAL, Wink, Etc), but the hours you get in the Navy won't help you towards that goal.
Exactly. It will NOT get you the interview or go towards meeting the company's pilot experience requirements.

The only place your NFO experience will help is if you can sell it during an interview. But you have to be careful as this is a very slippery slope especially as most civilian pilots have no idea what a NFO is/does and may think you are trying to BS your experience & qualifications.

Bottom line is that if your goal is to fly as an airline pilot, NFO is not the path to get you there. NFOs trying to make this transition have to start from scratch like any non-military pilot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
Or transition:)

In all seriousness, let's not give the OP false or unrealistic expectations. That's like advising someone to use the lottery as a sound investment strategy. :D

Brett

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Transitions are great selling points... But be careful what you are buying.. You will have a good time and serve your country either way; but if your goal is the airlines you need to be a PILOT.. Nuff Said.. Search for more!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
NFO = No Future Outside

But seriously, if you settle for NFO and want to be a pilot, you will be a terrible NFO and hate your life. Transitions are a pipe dream. Only about 10 people a year get picked up for one (1-2 per a community).

The selling point for a career outside is the fact that you were a Naval Officer. Naval Officer is your first job, NFO or Naval Aviator is your second.

VS FO

pilot
None
What was the exact amount of the NFO bonus we gave up anyway? I know it will probably hurt to hear...