• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO Rolling Board will be held 2 Dec 2015

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
It is out there, it used to be emailed to the OACR or OPS every month listing each OCS class and the people slated for it, the OACR and OPS weren't supposed to email it to the field but if we asked they would show it to us on their computer. This info was nice but not vital.

There also was a place on the recruiting homepage where they kept a spreadsheet of billets available for the FY and those with FS, Pro Y, already commissioned, and kits awaiting board. This was the good info to have.

Class load lists have been emailed out to the field (at least my NRD) regularly so we can at least tell applicants when they're expected to go.

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
Does this include those selected from this December board? How long should I wait before pestering my recruiter?

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Class load lists have been emailed out to the field (at least my NRD) regularly so we can at least tell applicants when they're expected to go.
Unfortunately, the most recent on the street is from late July...kinda out of date, you might say. Oh the flow (or not) of information...

mb1685

Does anyone know how long the background check takes to do? My recruiter just started mine on Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure it varies by person, but I believe it just has to be started in order to get your FINSEL, not finished. It might still be going on while you're at OCS.

Kraner

Does anyone know how long the background check takes to do? My recruiter just started mine on Tuesday.

My OP started mine back in the beginning of September when I was supposed to be in for the Oct/Nov board. Checked my credit and they pulled it the day after. I'm sure there is more into the check, but as Rufio has said, it only needs to be open before OCS.

FormerRecruitingGuru

It takes roughly 1-2 weeks to start the clearance. Remember, you only need to have an OPEN clearance (meaning it's ongoing) in order to receive a FINSEL letter. Many recruiters and many more applicants believe they have to have a complete security clearance - as that process can take weeks if not months to complete.

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec Have you ever heard of officers failing a security clearance for a low credit score? Mine isn't great because of the debt/income ratio from student loans, but I don't have delinquent payments or anything like that on there to my knowledge.

mb1685

@RUFiO181 @NavyOffRec Have you ever heard of officers failing a security clearance for a low credit score? Mine isn't great because of the debt/income ratio from student loans, but I don't have delinquent payments or anything like that on there to my knowledge.

I posted a thread about that a few years ago when my credit was in pretty rough shape: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/credit-card-charge-off.39106/

There's also a section on the DOD's website where you can view reasons that security clearances for industrial occupations were granted or denied: http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Search around for words like "bankruptcy", "credit", "default", "delinquent", etc. I was quite surprised to see that a lot of people with really hairy financial problems in the past were granted clearances as long as the issues had been resolved or they had a plan to resolve it in action.

I work in the credit industry now and I can say that if you have no delinquent payments at all on your credit report, you're doing better than the average American. I'd wager that student loan debt is a non-issue to investigators since it seems to be the norm for today's graduates.

By the way, installment accounts (loans) have much less of an effect on your FICO score than revolving accounts (credit cards), so if you don't have a bunch of credit card debt then your score probably isn't as bad as you think (assuming you're looking at a Credit Karma VantageScore and not paying for one of your FICO scores). Debt-to-income ratio actually isn't decipherable from your credit report alone since it does not contain income information, but current balance-to-initial lended amount and credit card debt-to-credit limit are part of the calculation (the latter having a much bigger impact).

FormerRecruitingGuru

You're confused with that debt is. Most folks have some sort of debt (student loans, car payments, mortgage, etc.) or another. Bad debt is when you fail to make payments or any other actions that can negatively affect your credit score. Recent foreclosures, bankruptcies, etc. are red flags when it comes to being granted a security clearance.

Team, seeking some guidance from the recruiters or those that can offer their insight.

I was selected, Pro Rec Y for SNA at this last board. My age waiver for SNA is June 8 2016, therefore there is a very small window (until March) when I can go to OCS. Should I be pushing this, or are they aware of the time constraints? If not who should I contact? Last question, my flight physical was over 180 days by the time the board convened, are they going to make me retake the physical before my Final Select?

Any guidance would be appreciated. If it helps, I am Active Duty.