• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO Rolling Board will be held 2 Dec 2015

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
Congrats to all those that were selected. I am back on my horse and going to find a way to improve my ASTB score. I don't want to use the same strategy I used for my first attempt, didn't work very well ;). If you guys and gals could give me a tip, it may make the difference in my future selection!!!

What information did you use when studying for the ASTB?
Does anyone have an example of what you submitted for your reconsideration package in the past?

If you could email anything that you have, I would really appreciate it.
I am signed up to take the ASTB on 13JAN2016.

Best of luck in OCS for all those selected. Anyone who was not, find out where you were weak and improve!

timothy.e.smith3@navy.mil

Good advice has been provided above.

I used the Peterson's "Master the Military Flight Aptitude Tests" for practice questions. It's not an exact preparation for what's on the test, but the Mechanical sections were good practice. I am a firm believer that the key on these types of tests is less about learning something and more about mastering the format.

To that end, I used this tool to study for the spatial awareness. I think drilling this thing incessantly helped my score quite a bit, since I bombed the first few practice ones I did, but I didn't miss a single one on the practical exam (and had some quick reaction times).

Lastly, and this is going to sound kind of silly, but here goes: I bought a cheap Logitech 3D Extreme joystick and played games like TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Flight Sim X and X-Plane to get used to the feel of a stick (I don't have a PPL and the only times I've flown/simmed were yoke or sidestick configurations). I also played Halo and Battlefield with my Y-Axis set to "inverted" to get used to tracking an object the way a flight stick would. It made the last portion less stressful, since I could focus on the audible portion of the test and let my reflexes track the objects on the screen.

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
Curious as to when we will start getting our class dates. I'm anxious/stoked to get to Newport now!
To quote my current head coach "don't waste today by wishing and worrying about tomorrow." We are all anxious, nervous and excited to get our orders and begin a long journey to achieve a dream, but it's also important to relax and enjoy our time now while we still have control. Just my two cents. Happy Holidays!!

puggle

Apparently the pre-ocs PT test is back. I was told that I must pass a PT test within 45 days of my ship date.

To quote my current head coach "don't waste today by wishing and worrying about tomorrow." We are all anxious, nervous and excited to get our orders and begin a long journey to achieve a dream, but it's also important to relax and enjoy our time now while we still have control. Just my two cents. Happy Holidays!!

Very true I definitely agree! Enjoy the free time while we got it. Thank you Happy Holidays!!!

Kraner

Curious as to when we will start getting our class dates. I'm anxious/stoked to get to Newport now!

Getting the finsel - historically 2-4 months, but some on here 'have heard by the end of the year'.
Class date - again historically 2-4 months after finsel, which would put us 27Mar, 17Apr, or 8May. So 'spring' ha.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Apparently the pre-ocs PT test is back. I was told that I must pass a PT test within 45 days of my ship date.
I would love to hear the source of this gouge. I haven't heard any such thing and I have candidates shipping nearly every month. Only collegiates do the PRT which applies to no one applying to aviation/SWO/supply/IDC/SEAL.

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
Getting the finsel - historically 2-4 months, but some on here 'have heard by the end of the year'.
Class date - again historically 2-4 months after finsel, which would put us 27Mar, 17Apr, or 8May. So 'spring' ha.
Unless "age critical," I wouldn't hold your breath for that FINSEL at the moment. I'm sure they have some master spreadsheet of how they're managing selects and the OCS classes that is bounced off their fiscal year goal but us in the field have no visibility on that. All your recruiter can do is wait and hope that they at least put an OCS date in CIRIMS for us to tell you about. However, the trend as of late has been to not even do that anymore and wait to hear the date when the FINSEL gets issued. The whole "hurry up and wait" mantra is ever true at this point for those of you selected. Chill out, enjoy the holidays and be happy you were selected...and stay in shape, too. Once the FINSEL gets issued, you can then sign your life away and take the enlisted oath and wait to ship. Until then...nothing.

puggle

I would love to hear the source of this gouge. I haven't heard any such thing and I have candidates shipping nearly every month. Only collegiates do the PRT which applies to no one applying to aviation/SWO/supply/IDC/SEAL.

My recruiter

Okay good info I assumed it'd be around those dates. Thank you, happy holidays!

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
For whatever direction you are going, the lot furthest from you will be the same direction. Determine the lot furthest from you first, then you can use that to figure out the heading of the other three lots. This makes sense in my brain, but I may not be doing the best job explaining it...

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter

he can do that if he wants, but with all the hoops they have to jump through not recommended, it used to be I would take out a few guys and have them do the PRT, then because a kid died it changed to prior authorization, several monitors and someone who is current in their CPR qualification.

so when you go to do your PRT you should see about 3 recruiters watching you, if not it probably isn't legal.

exNavyOffRec

Unless "age critical," I wouldn't hold your breath for that FINSEL at the moment. I'm sure they have some master spreadsheet of how they're managing selects and the OCS classes that is bounced off their fiscal year goal but us in the field have no visibility on that. All your recruiter can do is wait and hope that they at least put an OCS date in CIRIMS for us to tell you about. However, the trend as of late has been to not even do that anymore and wait to hear the date when the FINSEL gets issued. The whole "hurry up and wait" mantra is ever true at this point for those of you selected. Chill out, enjoy the holidays and be happy you were selected...and stay in shape, too. Once the FINSEL gets issued, you can then sign your life away and take the enlisted oath and wait to ship. Until then...nothing.

It is out there, it used to be emailed to the OACR or OPS every month listing each OCS class and the people slated for it, the OACR and OPS weren't supposed to email it to the field but if we asked they would show it to us on their computer. This info was nice but not vital.

There also was a place on the recruiting homepage where they kept a spreadsheet of billets available for the FY and those with FS, Pro Y, already commissioned, and kits awaiting board. This was the good info to have.