• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO Rolling Board will be held 2 Dec 2015

Aspiring NFO

Congrats to all those that were selected. I am back on my horse and going to find a way to improve my ASTB score. I don't want to use the same strategy I used for my first attempt, didn't work very well ;). If you guys and gals could give me a tip, it may make the difference in my future selection!!!

What information did you use when studying for the ASTB?
Does anyone have an example of what you submitted for your reconsideration package in the past?

If you could email anything that you have, I would really appreciate it.
I am signed up to take the ASTB on 13JAN2016.

Best of luck in OCS for all those selected. Anyone who was not, find out where you were weak and improve!

timothy.e.smith3@navy.mil

Last edited:

Jordan Whitaker

Congrats to all those that were selected. I am back on my horse and going to find a way to improve my ASTB score. I don't want to use the same strategy I used for my first attempt, didn't work very well ;). If you guys and gals could give me a tip, it may make the difference in my future selection!!!

Does anyone have an example of what you submitted for your reconsideration package in the past?

Best of luck in OCS for all those selected. Anyone who was not, find out where you were weak and improve!

Hey man , in the same boat as you. Applied for NFO, got the Pro Rec N , same exact scores 4,5,5 46 OAR , going to retake in January. Been watching the threads for a while but just wanted to reach out and let you know to keep your head up . Kill the ASTB next month and re-submit! If you get any good study information please email me @ jordanwhitaker4@gmail.com , I'll be studying as well.

If anyone has any info on PRK and that process please let me know. Going to submit SNA next go around.

Always remember , dreams never die, people just give up on them

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
If anyone has any info on PRK and that process please let me know. Going to submit SNA next go around.
You need to get the surgery and get through both follow-ups (usually 6 months post-surgery), provide all meds to the docs at NRC to get a new approval that says you can go SNA. So if you had the surgery today...you're 6 months out from being able to even consider it. Next board should be March 1st +/- two weeks...in my opinion.

Jordan Whitaker

You need to get the surgery and get through both follow-ups (usually 6 months post-surgery), provide all meds to the docs at NRC to get a new approval that says you can go SNA. So if you had the surgery today...you're 6 months out from being able to even consider it. Next board should be March 1st +/- two weeks...in my opinion.
Thanks so much for the heads up. So that would put me around a June/July Board time frame. I am going to get started studying . And re-take the ASTB January or Febuary . Tough decision though . A lot of money , no guarantee either way.

Jordan Whitaker

I had PRK last October, regardless of the outcome for the NAVY, best decision ever!
Haha ! I think PRK is exactly what I am going to do. The dream has always been to be a pilot , if I have to wait 6 months that's fine. Things worth having are worth waiting for My main focus is killing the ASTB

JNavMyers

I used this study guide I found on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321943609487 Had a ton of good examples for the math portion, and gave me a good idea of what to expect. Also from what I remember there was some military aviation history on the test. Id recommend finding a book or two on aviation history and read through it (not word for word necessarily) so you can have some exposure to that topic if you're not familiar with aviation history. On the performance part, I would just try think of something you could do to improve multitasking, it felt impossible to do everything 100% correctly you just had to do as much as you can as best you can. Also on the spatial thinking part, I think I would maybe practice that by working on 3D puzzles, possibly some video games involving flight, and just working on thinking in that manner more often. I know you've already taken it, but those are just my suggestions to help increase your scores. Get rest the night before, and try not to overthink anything/spend too much time on the test!

FireFor3ffect

Even though you're a sooner I'll still help you out ;)

Here's everything that I used to study for the ASTB. For math I also used KhanAcademy to brush up on subjects I haven't seen in years. Part of my routine also involved going through the ASTB experiences thread and writing down each topic that I needed to work on and then I spent about 20 minutes on each.

http://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=_36014
http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/index.html
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/intro.htm
http://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/tableview.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension-test

https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...tb-e-apex-4-experience-dec-2013.41357/page-17
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/astb-prep-study-guide-feedback.28142/

Best of luck! Don't hesitate to PM me if you need clarification or help on anything. I'm always happy to help.

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
Even though you're a sooner I'll still help you out ;)

For math I also used KhanAcademy to brush up on subjects I haven't seen in years. Part of my routine also involved going through the ASTB experiences thread and writing down each topic that I needed to work on and then I spent about 20 minutes on each.

I second KhanAcademy. Several things I studied from there showed up on the test, and it covers just about everything. Don't forget the test is adaptive, if you get it right it gets harder and if you get it wrong it gets easier.
Also, since it had been so long since I had to study (4 years to be exact), I took the approach of "I know nothing and need to learn everything from the ground up". It prevented me from skipping over things I might have thought I already knew.

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
My recruiter made me take the ASTB within a week of meeting him so I didn't get much of a chance to study.....

Chop07

Supply Officer / Prior Recruiter
My recruiter made me take the ASTB within a week of meeting him so I didn't get much of a chance to study.....
A shame. This is something I insist my applicants never do but only support if they won't take my advice. 91 days is an eternity to wait for all of you who are itchin' to join the Navy. Study, prepare, take the test.

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
That sucks!! I actually took mine the day I met him since its an hour drive on way to his office, but we had been in contact for almost 3 months at that point.

Knightsnation

Knightsnation
Haha ! I think PRK is exactly what I am going to do. The dream has always been to be a pilot , if I have to wait 6 months that's fine. Things worth having are worth waiting for My main focus is killing the ASTB
I think getting this PRK and killing the ASTB to become a pilot is a fantastic idea. Not only is being a pilot way more bad ass than being and NFO, the last SNA board had a way higher selection rate. Good Luck!