• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

MGoBrew11

pilot
Seafort,

Do you know as of when an officer interview was required? My OR never mentioned it to me when I was up in November. He still has not mentioned anything about it and we are planning on the April resubmit. Any strategies on how to land an interview? I don't know anyone in the Navy above an O-2, nor am I close to a Naval base.

I guess it is just one more thing I have to do on top of retaking the ASTB.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I went up before boards in August and September, and I wasn't told about it until fairly recently, so I don't know when it came into effect.

I've actually offered a lot of advice on obtaining interviews in various board threads, and have helped out quite a few people. Mostly it's networking, plain and simple. A lot of officers I know because 1) I was in NROTC with them, and while I did not finish, they did 2) they were my officers when I was NROTC 3) they are officers I have met since December 2008 when I started down this path. Basically I met officers through officers through officers, and after two years, I know at least one or two senior officers in every community.

The very best advice I have is to become very acquainted with the milblog community. These officers, most of them senior officers or even flags, live to help out younger folks. The US Naval Institute blog (http://blog.usni.org) is a great place to start. Develop a persona, engage in discussions, and eventually approach one of the bloggers and describe what you are doing and why you think you deserve a helping hand.

You'd be surprised who shows up in your corner. I know I was.

Lucy

Hmm... news to me about needing the desginator specific interviews outside of SWO. G2k.
And I can second that Seafort has helped others to find interviews. I didn't need more interviews but wanted to speak with people in the communities and he was more than glad to help.

That said, no surprise since its the next one, but I'll be up for these boards also.
Stats that have changed since Nov.
GPA up to 3.5, new job, pomotion for leadership position, finished americorp 900 hours, another gold service award, restarted Japanese/senior project at elem school, and LOR from leadership position.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
My additions will be:

BSPB in Government 4.0 GPA
Retake the ASTB (I'd be surprised if I don't score much higher than last time)
LORs from the government advisor/department chair
Additional O-5 SWO LOR
NFO interview
And INTEL interview if I can swing it...

Currently have BA English, 3.08 GPA
LORs from previous three employers.
LORs from O-5 SWO/NROTC XO, O-3 Pilot
O-10 SWO Interview

Lots of political experience, worked for the Democratic National Committee, was state delegate from Texas in 2006
Figure Skater for 14 years, runner all my life, last race was in March here in Japan
Outstanding evaluations from current employers over the course of my entire employment
Sailing Experience (will be out on the water for two days over Christmas)...
Speak Japanese in most situations, read and write at a third grade level...

That's probably everything...

EthanWing20

I've been planning on putting in my application for a while and I haven't gone through with it because of one thing or another. I'm planning on submitting in April and I want this more than anything.

SNA/SWO/NFO
ASTB: 50 5/6/6 (I'm torn about retaking it. I put a lot of effort into it the first time and am extremely unhappy with my scores)

Master in Public Administration(expected Dec 2011), currently a 3.66 GPA
Bachelors in Liberal Studies, 3.41 GPA

All of my PRT scores are in the good low range.

Extracurricular activities include over 5 years youth and teen basketball coaching, membership in the American Society for Public Administration, high school basketball.

I think my rough draft of my statement is fairly well written, but i need to go over it with a fine-toothed comb.

I'm finishing my Masters in one year rather than two because I want multiple attempts at submitting my packet before I reach the age limit. Do you guys think that's worth mentioning in my written statement?

I think the only real weaknesses is my ASTB. I definitely need to think about retaking it.

Does anyone know if I am Pro-rec'd for April whether or not I'll still be able to delay my OCS date until after I get my Masters in December?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I've been planning on putting in my application for a while and I haven't gone through with it because of one thing or another. I'm planning on submitting in April and I want this more than anything.

SNA/SWO/NFO
ASTB: 50 5/6/6 (I'm torn about retaking it. I put a lot of effort into it the first time and am extremely unhappy with my scores)

Master in Public Administration(expected Dec 2011), currently a 3.66 GPA
Bachelors in Liberal Studies, 3.41 GPA

All of my PRT scores are in the good low range.

Extracurricular activities include over 5 years youth and teen basketball coaching, membership in the American Society for Public Administration, high school basketball.

I think my rough draft of my statement is fairly well written, but i need to go over it with a fine-toothed comb.

I'm finishing my Masters in one year rather than two because I want multiple attempts at submitting my packet before I reach the age limit. Do you guys think that's worth mentioning in my written statement?

I think the only real weaknesses is my ASTB. I definitely need to think about retaking it.

Does anyone know if I am Pro-rec'd for April whether or not I'll still be able to delay my OCS date until after I get my Masters in December?

Yea, just put your availability starting in January. Second don't retake the ASTB. Retake it only if you get a non-select because then you will be able to reapply in a month versus 6 months.

EthanWing20

Yea, just put your availability starting in January. Second don't retake the ASTB. Retake it only if you get a non-select because then you will be able to reapply in a month versus 6 months.
Good advice! I need as many shots as possible before my time runs out.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I'm debating if I want to go up for April or wait to the next one after.. Thinking of getting a sports pilot license before round 2 at the boards. Anyhow, My current stats with the following additions:

Degree: Computer Science 3.3 cumulative gpa
ASTB: 7 7 6 58
Prior Service: Air Force, F-16 Crewchief (2 yrs)

Leadership:
-Airman Leader in techschool
-RA at college
-Supervisor at Toysrus many years ago (may or may not add this)

Flight hours: 10

Graded Interviews: (2 total) -One from a retired naval aviator and academy candidate interviewer.
-Commander of Great Lakes Naval base who also happens to be an aviator.

Lor's: -My Congressman
-My Chief (E8) of my squadron
-Friend who works on Air Force 1
-2 professors
-2 from bosses

Volunteer work: 6 different places random hours.. around 30hrs. Nothing special..

shutout39

pilot

I am sorry can someone explain this. I have decent ASTB scores and want to retake before the April deadline. I was planning on resubmitting for the June board if I was non-select in April but this post leads me to believe there is a six month wait unless I retake the ASTB after the non-select then I could reapply for June then?

Thanks!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I am sorry can someone explain this. I have decent ASTB scores and want to retake before the April deadline. I was planning on resubmitting for the June board if I was non-select in April but this post leads me to believe there is a six month wait unless I retake the ASTB after the non-select then I could reapply for June then?

Thanks!

To resubmit before the 6 month wait you must have a significant change to your application. Retaking the ASTB is a significant change.

cefiro

Im confused with people talking about interviews, my recruiter hasnt mentioned anything about having them. I am applying for Pilot/NFO/SWO, am I suppose to be setting up interviews?

On a different note, my stats so far:

-ATSB: 7/7/6/58

-GPA: 2.85 (my weakest point, but not much I can do about it now)

-Over 300+ hours community service in the past 4 years

-811 hours flight time (CAMEL, CSEL, CFI, CFII)

-Decent leadership experience

-LOR: College advisor, O-4, O-5 (pilot), and O-6 (SWO), trying to get one from an O-8

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Im confused with people talking about interviews, my recruiter hasnt mentioned anything about having them. I am applying for Pilot/NFO/SWO, am I suppose to be setting up interviews?

Talk with your recruiter on this matter. They are the subject matter expert, and it is their job to know the details. I had to do an interview with two officers for my packet, and others have said that they didn't have to do any. Let me reiterate that your recruiter is the person you really need to talk to.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor

Call him/her. If they say yes then get one if they say it isn't a big deal then don't worry about it.