• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

shutout39

pilot
Flying, my OR at NRD New England has also submitted my package to the "December" board. I hope he is right, even tho I know he probably isnt.

T

Triangles

Prt doesn't affect it... They don't even see if you have taken it or not unless your recruiter writes it in there..

Hmmm. Your OR is required to have you conduct a PRT and MEPS medical screening to see that you can pass within the navy's standards and are medically qualified. Take my word for it. I have served 7yrs in the Navy, 5 active duty. I was promoted to E-6 in 4 1/2 yrs. I know the ropes! Anything you submit can help keep you above the rest. The question of rather it is as important as your ASTB score... Well, I would say that ASTB is more important. Also a little gouge.. I just seperated from the Navy Reserves so I can apply for OCS. 2 Officers in my reserve unit were on OCS boards. All my gouge is from their suggestions. They were the ones selected people for slots into OCS.

T

Triangles

Why doesn't anyone tell recruiters these things, you'd think they'd be more in the loop than us.... Even though I keep insisting it isn't happening, my OR just submitted my stuff for the "December board."

Don't be to upset with the OR. They have alot on their plate, and you have to remember that one person (you) aren't their only concern. They have alot more to do that just recruit. It is easy miss same stuff like board dates, as they vary from time to time.

Flying Toaster

None
Don't be to upset with the OR. They have alot on their plate, and you have to remember that one person (you) aren't their only concern. They have alot more to do that just recruit. It is easy miss same stuff like board dates, as they vary from time to time.

I don't recall saying anything to the contrary, my OR is a good guy and has been very helpful. It would just seem things like having board dates down to more than +/- 5 months (which I might add apply to everyone, not just "me") isn't exactly insubstantial and perhaps someone up the chain would make it a bit more obvious to OR's as to when they occurring.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Hmmm. Your OR is required to have you conduct a PRT and MEPS medical screening to see that you can pass within the navy's standards and are medically qualified. Take my word for it. I have served 7yrs in the Navy, 5 active duty. I was promoted to E-6 in 4 1/2 yrs. I know the ropes! Anything you submit can help keep you above the rest. The question of rather it is as important as your ASTB score... Well, I would say that ASTB is more important. Also a little gouge.. I just seperated from the Navy Reserves so I can apply for OCS. 2 Officers in my reserve unit were on OCS boards. All my gouge is from their suggestions. They were the ones selected people for slots into OCS.

Not swimming against the current on you with this but my recruiter is an Officer, he's been in for 21 yrs, and he has sat on the boards as well. If he tells me PRT and Meps isn't that important, I trust his opinion. I'm prior enlisted as well and I don't think that helped me be more knowledgeable for the boards in anyway..

But you're right having the PFT/MEPS done prior to it won't hurt anything. But there is no form you have to submit with your package stating your scores.... So like my recruiter said, they really won't even know unless he said something along the lines like, "Furthermore, Mr./Mrs. so and so has his medical and fitness test passed and out of the way... bla bla"

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I can't attest to the importance of meps, but I imagine as long as you don't have any major problems, you'll be good. As for the prt, there is no longer a prt prior to submitting your application.

Sonog

pilot
I don't understand that, as an officer, shouldn't your physical fitness be exemplary?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I believe that the axing of pre application prt was more for liability's sake than anything else. I do not know what happened, but heard something along the lines of an applicant running too hard and passing out.

GoVols1998

With all this PRT and MEPS talk, does anyone else find it very peculiar, to be nice, that for the Navy you don't have to take your flight physical or anything until near the end of OCS. Yet for the USMC, that and your PRT are part of your application process. Doesn't that seem to make A LOT more sense than waiting like the Navy does, seeing as how I have seen a few people that have made it all the way only to fail their flight physical for heart, eye, whatever, stuff. I mean I know the military isn't always in the business of doing things that make sense, but in the current economic climate, it would seem they would do everything in their power to be fiscally responsible. Just my .02. WetEars, it's been a while since you asked about the tattoo waiver, so I will just PM it to you. If anyone else has tattoo questions, please PM me. I have played that game enough with the Navy now to give you some good gouge.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm at the point where if my vision is worse than 20/30 in either eye, I'm seriously considering going for NFO as opposed to SNA. I would hate to get all the way through OCS only to be dropped at Pensacola because my vision isn't good enough.

As far as the PRT having a positive impact, until it's a mandatory part of the application, I don't believe it will ever have an effect on the application. If I were on the board, I'm not sure I could give someone with a spectacular PT test but lesser overall application the nod over someone with a better application and no PT test. So with that, I would have to completely ignore that aspect of the application.

T

Triangles

Not swimming against the current on you with this but my recruiter is an Officer, he's been in for 21 yrs, and he has sat on the boards as well. If he tells me PRT and Meps isn't that important, I trust his opinion. I'm prior enlisted as well and I don't think that helped me be more knowledgeable for the boards in anyway..

But you're right having the PFT/MEPS done prior to it won't hurt anything. But there is no form you have to submit with your package stating your scores.... So like my recruiter said, they really won't even know unless he said something along the lines like, "Furthermore, Mr./Mrs. so and so has his medical and fitness test passed and out of the way... bla bla"

Thanks for the reply and your comments. I would go into details with you guys on this subject, but to be honest I'm just here to give advice and help others out. If you need any help or suggests just send me an email.

R/
Triangles

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Hey does anyone know where I can find an outline of writing the motivational statement.. I know I saw it somewhere but I can't remember where. It shows how many paragraphs it should be and what each paragraph should talk about.. This was obviously for when the regs were 400 words. Thanks guys..

Flying Toaster

None

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Saw that.. But I know I saw this outline somewhere.. Come to think of it, I don't even think it was on this forum. Hmm, if I find it I'll def post it. Will have to do some digging when I get off work.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
I don't want to bother my OR, but can someone confirm the differences between applications submitted before AUG 15 (and later to subsequent boards) and the April boards?

As I understand it, I have to use the new application, but everything else is the same, right? DD370s, etc?