• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newish tailhook program

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If someone volunteers for an E2/C2 slot, do they get it?

Not necissarily. They will work with you, but the timing has to be right (like anything else). A friend of mine asked for it, and was advised to STFU by the command. I took that to mean that since they couldn't guarantee it, they didn't want a bunch of the IP's to be under the impression that he didn't want to be there in Phase II. A lot of folks (IP's especially) seem to view E2/C2 hopefuls as lepers. Just a stud's observations, reality may differ from perception but often they are one in the same.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Not necissarily. They will work with you, but the timing has to be right (like anything else). A friend of mine asked for it, and was advised to STFU by the command. I took that to mean that since they couldn't guarantee it, they didn't want a bunch of the IP's to be under the impression that he didn't want to be there in Phase II. A lot of folks (IP's especially) seem to view E2/C2 hopefuls as lepers. Just a stud's observations, reality may differ from perception but often they are one in the same.

What I meant was let's say a known selection is coming up and there is 1 slot for E2/C2 and there is a volunteer. Do they get it? Seems to me that would be a fair way to do it, everybody is happy. I know if this is the way they had done things when I went through, I would not have chosen E2/C2 but I know a few would have. This way everybody is happy which is not always the case in the Navy....go figure :icon_tong

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yes, I would think in that case the volunteer would get it. Then again, I understood part of the reasoning behind the "TH" program was to prevent folks from attriting from phase II, so if there was someone who was really struggling in phase I in said class, I wouldn't put it past them to select that stud over the volunteer. That said, perhaps one of the -45 IP's on here can provide some non-speculative info

stickygdm

pilot
Tempting...tempting...

OK. I lay down the deal on day one when you arrive in the conference room. My door is always open for discussions on the subject. Or, in the ready room. I'm sure my friend down the hall is just as open to the discussion.

O'Club is another good place to corner us on the subject. We'll gladly talk about it.

Thanks all for talking this up.
BTW...It's only your future! :)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Ten years down the line when the flatulatory bravodo is waning, some will see the unsexy, yet blissfull glee that is being a COD guy (and I ain't no COD guy). Seeing your buds after three weeks on shore goofing off in Chania, GR; irish but looking more african, having way more fun than the ass kicking pointy nozed super-hero wanna-bees on the boat, puts it all in perspective. Shore based (sometimes), no night traps... Im pretty sure the VRC-40 dudes on the ENT were giggling under their breath frequently.

Scoff at noone, you are surrounded by great folks and idiots alike, yoke/stick/cyclic actuation isn't the discriminator to make the determination (usually).

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
...you are going to fly pointy nose aircraft and head into the fight guns blazing...

Ten years down the line when the flatulatory bravodo is waning, some will see the unsexy, yet blissfull glee that is being a COD guy (and I ain't no COD guy). Seeing your buds after three weeks on shore goofing off in Chania, GR; irish but looking more african, having way more fun than the ass kicking pointy nozed super-hero wanna-bees on the boat, puts it all in perspective. Shore based (sometimes), no night traps... Im pretty sure the VRC-40 dudes on the ENT were giggling under their breath frequently.

Yeah, to finish flight school and realize that everyone in the Navy flies circles, the only difference between platforms is at which altitude, COD's seem like a pretty sweet deal.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I couldn't agree more that the students that are selected for E2/C2 at Kingsville or Meridian should be winged when they complete CQ at TW-1 or TW-2 and should then either go TAD to TW-4 to get the multi-engine, assymetric training or straight to VAW-120. (S-3 pilots never seemed to suffer from not flying the T-44) We fought to try and get it done that way and people are still fighting. Things do evolve, just slowly.
BLUF, everything is a good deal, but if you want to choose which good deal you get, you have to be number one...

MasterBates

I was asked by CNATRA staff what my take on it was, and I told them that anything beyond FAMs in a TAD sort of deal was a waste of time and manpower.

Having been through the T-34, 44, 45 and TH-57.. The 44 is the easiest thing of the bunch to fly. I'm not really sure it preps you all that well for the E-2 anyways. It was almost 2 years from my last flight in the 44 before I actually hit the seat of a Hummer.

And the treating CQ'd pilots like clowns that just fell off the primary turnip truck.. Totally unsat IMHO. (IPs who do this- I'm looking at YOU)

It should be post-wings TAD.

Even better idea- the C-12 "RAG" is in the same building as VAW-120. How about having a quick/dirty "intro to asymmetric thrust" syllabus with them when guys first get here to the RAG?

It will save big Navy on a PCS move or TAD Per Diem, less jerking around for the E-2 studs (who move more than any other ones) and their families, and being more recent, may actually stick in their memory better.

The E-2 flies unlike the T-44. I'd say it flies more like a 34 if anything, with the amount of rudders and pitch trim you need with power changes.

I'm just a lowly Cat-2. What do I know? :icon_smil

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I totally agree, should be winged at TW-1 or 2. I was winged at VT-4, after VT-31 and T-44's but that would be selecting out of primary. Us E2/C2 types used to go to VT-4, CQ, then off to VT-31 and wings. Full circle from the looks of it.

IMO, the T-44 is probably used for that side by side crew concept. I don't think one needs the T-44 to fly the E2/C2 for like MB says, it fly's nothing at all like the two. Different animals.

As for someone who selects E2/C2....like I did all those years ago, it can be a dissapointment. I know I was..I was drafted. Any other week, I would have gone jets. Way it is and sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I selected COD's VRC-30 and at that time, we lived on the boat and flew at night. None of the good deals of the COD life. We fancied ourselves as VAW-30 :) IMO, the COD is not fun to fly unless you like straight level with the occasional 60 degree AOB. The carrier cat/trap is always a fun though. However, once you taste the shore life, like we did later on at VRC-30, it's hard to beat. Nothing like going to the ship, launching for shore and going home to a 5 star hotel. My guys had bars, boose, women, etc, etc almost nightly in some ports (Singapore for example). It ends up being a good freaking time. Not all is doom and gloom and most of you will grow to like the lifestyle. Probably why it's rare to see a COD guy try and transition out, at least from what I saw in my time.