• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newish tailhook program

BrittO

pilot
Im curious as to when people find out if they are going on to tacair or to e2/c2 in the new program. Is it after FCLPs?

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
Most have a pretty good feel going into bouncing where the cards will fall, but there are always some surprises.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
From what I have seen, normally one per class, if that. There are a lot of classes that finish without losing anyone to E2/C2. That said, things can be different between squadrons, so I have no idea how it works in krock.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
"...losing anyone to E2/C2..." ?

Maybe a poor choice of words, but in reality if selected for E2/C2, your class continues on in phase 2 while you hook up with another class for CQ, and then leave for Corpus for multiengine training. So in a practical sense, your class loses you. Not a jab at the Hummer/Greyhound crowd if it came off that way :)

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
"...losing anyone to E2/C2..." ?

The way it is sold to the studs yes it feels like a loss. From the very moment you get up here you are told you are going to fly pointy nose aircraft and head into the fight guns blazing. Then one day they drag you into see the skipper and you find out you are going E2C2. Some squadrons handle the selection more tactfully and better than others, but in any case hopes are built up and then shattered. Its even worse when a stud starts advanced strike only to be pulled out of it to fill an E2C2 slot (studs are often pulled from phase II ground school).

Then there is the perception that the person picked for E2C2 sucks which is definitely not the case in most situations.

I really wish they would wing the E2C2 studs in Meridian/Kingsville because they have worked extremely hard and have a CQ under their belt. They are Tailhook Aviators, and there should be some distinction between them and the P-3 stud straight out of primary.

Yes it is definitely a loss due to the bonds that classes form at least in Meridian.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
whats the spread for tacair vs E2 / C2
a quick glance at the numbers for both wings, it seems to be running around (1) E2/C2 selection for every 10-12 strike selection... been a few volunteers for E2/C2 but generally been the #2/#3 dudes getting selected for E2/C2.

with the new syllabus that will eventually be coming online, a handful of basic tac forms will be thrown into phase 1 to help with tailhook selection...

WRT my first post, I should have said "generally" ...

SF

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When my class started in early March, the (then current) opso told us that generally the quota is about 12 E2/C2 slots per year from each of the 4 squadrons. That would tend to jive with Jarheads breakdown.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I really wish they would wing the E2C2 studs in Meridian/Kingsville because they have worked extremely hard and have a CQ under their belt. They are Tailhook Aviators, and there should be some distinction between them and the P-3 stud straight out of primary.

Yes it is definitely a loss due to the bonds that classes form at least in Meridian.

Agree with all, and especially this part. As far as I'm concerned, everyone in my class (whether or not one of us gets props) should be together when we wing. We all made it through the hell of phase 1, and by that point will have all CQ'd as well (hopefully ;) ). If you can make it through this program, you have proven yourself as a capable aviator in my mind, whether or not luck or timing takes you to less pointy nosed endeavors beyond wings.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
The kicker on the Meridian side of the house, is they cq a guy then he sits around for 3-5 months waiting to go to Corpus. By the time the e2/c2 guys/gals leave, their original class is about to wing anyways...

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
In K'rock it is generally after FCLPs. Sometimes folks select while they are in night fams or in the middle of mid stage bounces. Pretty certain that the only rock hard requirement is that you be done with forms.