• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newest ASTB version overview

navy2014

Glad it went well, even if it was a big surprise.

I think it's hard to say that the math is completely different. You did well enough that you were getting to the point where the questions got harder--my questions used the same basic skills as easier math problems, it just involved doing more with them. Those could have been the 3-4 extremely hard questions that would have shown up on an old ASTB.

I do think it's safe to say that, at least when you get some reading questions right and the difficulty increases, the paragraphs are all technical DoD jargon.

And yeah, I think it would be very hard to feel like you're doing "well" on the joystick/throttle part.

Pardon my other post, I was still very tired while I was writing it. Here's to help out some future test takers:
***DISCLAIMER***: THIS IS ALL BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE; YOURS MAY DIFFER.

Math wise:

There was a question about the chance of together rolling one die, once, and receiving a number above 2 in addition to drawing a heart out of a deck of 52 cards. I guessed on that one.

Another one asked: What are the the chances of throwing a dart at a calender of 31 days and getting three separate days? I think the answer was 1/31 x 1/29 x 1/28. But I'm not sure.

There were very few mechanical comprehension questions
: One was about four springs, in two sets connected together, connected to and holding a 100kg weight from two points, asking how much weight a single spring would hold. I believe the answer was 50.

There was another one with a pipe with water flow, and the pipe goes down to half its' diameter in the middle then re-expands. The answer to that one was that the speed doubles in the middle and the pressure cuts in half (point-C), but the volume is constant throughout.

There were no questions about levers, pulleys, or gears.

Most of the questions were about nautical and aviation knowledge. For example, what part of the aircraft pitches the nose up? Elevators. What part of the aircraft turns the aircraft? Ailerons. What is the rear part of the aircraft called? Empennage. What are vertical walls in a ship? Bulkhead. What is the outer wall of a ship? Hull.

I completed approx 20 math questions, what felt like 35 reading questions, and about 25 aviation/mechanical/nautical questions. There is a timer at the bottom right of the screen that lets you know how much time you have to complete the section.

Honestly, go to khanacademy.org and practice, practice, practice your arithmetic. I studied the gouge from this site, the For Dummies book, the Arco book, took the DoD online test, and studied the FAA pilot's handbook; the website aforementioned helped me the most.

All the types of problems I studied for based on the old guides were not problems I found on the exam; studying my arithmetic skills (in particular for the exam: probabilities, multiplying/addding/dividing fractions, long division, and long multiplication) was the best form of studying I performed.

navy2014

Wait, are you saying that in your test, the mechanical / physics section was not separate from the aviation/nautical information/history section? And that the section was mostly aviation/nautical and not mechanical?

I definitely had a mechanical section with as many questions as I had in math. Then I had the 15 minute break between OAR / non-OAR stuff, and the first section was the nautical / aviation one.

Well I would lean more towards what you just said; it's kind of a blur. I took it at 9am and the entire joystick/throttle part really fucked with my head lol.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
There was a question about the chance of together rolling one die, once, and receiving a number above 2 in addition to drawing a heart out of a deck of 52 cards. I guessed on that one.
It'd be 4/6 x 1/4, which reduces to 1/6.

Another one asked: What are the the chances of throwing a dart at a calender of 31 days and getting three separate days? I think the answer was 1/31 x 1/29 x 1/28. But I'm not sure.
That doesn't make sense, since the first dart thrown has a 100% chance of hitting any day, ergo 31/31, not 1/31. So it'd be 1 x 30/31 x 29/31.
What part of the aircraft turns the aircraft? Ailerons.
Technically, so does the rudder. Specifically, the rudder yaws the aircraft about the vertical axis, and the ailerons roll it about the longitudinal axis.

It'd be 4/6 x 1/4, which reduces to 1/6.

That doesn't make sense, since the first dart thrown has a 100% chance of hitting any day, ergo 31/31, not 1/31. So it'd be 1 x 30/31 x 29/31.

Technically, so does the rudder. Specifically, the rudder yaws the aircraft about the vertical axis, and the ailerons roll it about the longitudinal axis.

My memory is a blur :rolleyes: