• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newest ASTB version overview

cameron172

pilot
I've heard a lot about this new ASTB before I got to A-pool. I'm assuming that since we've been discussing it since early 2010 and they're still using A-poolers as guinea pigs that it'll be rolled out soon. I haven't found a detailed overview of the new test, so with all my spare time I thought I'd write one up after I tested it out last week.

Math
The questions are the same as the old ASTB Math section. However, there’s no set number of questions. The program will keep asking questions until it has a good grasp on your performance or time runs out, which I believe is 40 minutes.

Reading
The questions are also the same as the old ASTB except for the varying number of questions and extended time limit.

Mechanical
Also the same kinds of questions, but has the varying number of questions and extended time limit. You get a 15 minute break after this.

Aviation and Nautical Information
Again, the same kinds of questions but with the varying number of questions and extended time limit.

Spatial Apperception
From here on is where they changed it up most. You’re given an illustration showing how a UAV is situated over a target area. On the right you’re shown a building with four parking lots oriented in a North, South, East, and West layout as it would be seen through the UAV cameras. You’re asked to identify a specific parking lot. For example, you’re shown the UAV approaching from the Northwest and asked to identify the east parking lot. Either a green or red circle appears around the lot you selected and shows a reaction time, which is also calculated in the scores.

sat1.jpg

I remember being very pressed for time on the old spatial apperception section, but this one also varies in number of questions and has an extended time.

Personality Test
This was my most frustrating section. You’re given 99 questions with two statements each. You choose which one best describes you, but it’s very common that neither statement describes you at all or both statements describe you very well.

Another New Section
They called this section some long scientific term.
1) In the headphones, it will say a string of numbers and letters in the right side and a different string of numbers and letters in the left side at the same time. At the beginning, it will say “right” or “left”. If it says “right”, you have to tune out the voice in the left side and push a button on the throttle when you hear an odd number in the right side and squeeze the trigger on the joystick if you hear an even number in the right side. Letters don’t count. It will switch to “left” and you have to tune out the right voice.
2) Next, you’ll use the throttle to track a target moving sporadically on a single vertical axis. The further above 50% you move the throttle, the faster the pipper moves up and the same with below 50% moving down. When you’re near the target, the pipper turns green. You are supposedly graded on how long/often the pipper is green.
3) Next, you use the joystick to track a target moving sporadically to the left, right, up and down. Again, the pipper turns green when you are near enough to the target. The controls are inverted, where pushing forward on the joystick causes the pipper to rise.
4) Next, you’ll combine the two. There will be two separate targets, one moving on the vertical axis and the other moving up, down, left, and right. You have to track both targets with the pipper with the throttle and joystick at the same time.
5) Next, you’ll combine #4 above (tracking) with #1 above (listening). You’re tracking both targets with the throttle and joystick and now listening for the numbers they call out, while clicking the throttle button for odd numbers and joystick trigger for even.
6) Next, they add EPs. They have two knobs on the throttle, one for your “fuel” and one for your “engine” (I think). For a fire, you have to turn both down and hit the throttle button. For an engine failure, you have to turn both up and hit the throttle button. There’s one more scenario I can’t remember. But they include that among tracking your targets and listening for the numbers.

Then you go home and finish a lengthy biographical survey asking about your education and experience with athletics, math, science, etc. It took me around 1 hour 45 minutes to finish everything. The OAR score is still only made of the first three sections, but the scored for the FOFAR, PFAR, and AQR are now made up of all sections combined.

exNavyOffRec

I've heard a lot about this new ASTB before I got to A-pool. I'm assuming that since we've been discussing it since early 2010 and they're still using A-poolers as guinea pigs that it'll be rolled out soon. I haven't found a detailed overview of the new test, so with all my spare time I thought I'd write one up after I tested it out last week.

Math
The questions are the same as the old ASTB Math section. However, there’s no set number of questions. The program will keep asking questions until it has a good grasp on your performance or time runs out, which I believe is 40 minutes.

Reading
The questions are also the same as the old ASTB except for the varying number of questions and extended time limit.

Mechanical
Also the same kinds of questions, but has the varying number of questions and extended time limit. You get a 15 minute break after this.

Aviation and Nautical Information
Again, the same kinds of questions but with the varying number of questions and extended time limit.

Spatial Apperception
From here on is where they changed it up most. You’re given an illustration showing how a UAV is situated over a target area. On the right you’re shown a building with four parking lots oriented in a North, South, East, and West layout as it would be seen through the UAV cameras. You’re asked to identify a specific parking lot. For example, you’re shown the UAV approaching from the Northwest and asked to identify the east parking lot. Either a green or red circle appears around the lot you selected and shows a reaction time, which is also calculated in the scores.

sat1.jpg

I remember being very pressed for time on the old spatial apperception section, but this one also varies in number of questions and has an extended time.

Personality Test
This was my most frustrating section. You’re given 99 questions with two statements each. You choose which one best describes you, but it’s very common that neither statement describes you at all or both statements describe you very well.

Another New Section
They called this section some long scientific term.
1)In the headphones, it will say a string of numbers and letters in the right side and a different string of numbers and letters in the left side at the same time. At the beginning, it will say “right” or “left”. If it says “right”, you have to tune out the voice in the left side and push a button on the throttle when you hear an odd number in the right side and squeeze the trigger on the joystick if you hear an even number in the right side. Letters don’t count. It will switch to “left” and you have to tune out the right voice.
2)Next, you’ll use the throttle to track a target moving sporadically on a single vertical axis. The further above 50% you move the throttle, the faster the pipper moves up and the same with below 50% moving down. When you’re near the target, the pipper turns green. You are supposedly graded on how long/often the pipper is green.
3)Next, you use the joystick to track a target moving sporadically to the left, right, up and down. Again, the pipper turns green when you are near enough to the target. The controls are inverted, where pushing forward on the joystick causes the pipper to rise.
4)Next, you’ll combine the two. There will be two separate targets, one moving on the vertical axis and the other moving up, down, left, and right. You have to track both targets with the pipper with the throttle and joystick at the same time.
5)Next, you’ll combine #4 above (tracking) with #1 above (listening). You’re tracking both targets with the throttle and joystick and now listening for the numbers they call out, while clicking the throttle button for odd numbers and joystick trigger for even.
6)Next, they add EPs. They have two knobs on the throttle, one for your “fuel” and one for your “engine” (I think). For a fire, you have to turn both down and hit the throttle button. For an engine failure, you have to turn both up and hit the throttle button. There’s one more scenario I can’t remember. But they include that among tracking your targets and listening for the numbers.

Then you go home and finish a lengthy biographical survey asking about your education and experience with athletics, math, science, etc. It took me around 1 hour 45 minutes to finish everything. The OAR score is still only made of the first three sections, but the scored for the FOFAR, PFAR, and AQR are now made up of all sections combined.

Good info, the time that they had put out to the NRD's is that the entire test including the part done at home would take about 5 hours.

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
I was talking to the testing administrator about the new ASTB that is coming out soon. Because you can take the test three times, once per test, does this mean that you can soon take the ASTB four times?

Also, I saw a computer throttle and joystick setup so it does in fact look more "involved" per say. Has anyone else heard about the new test and what it is comprised of? Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

The new version has supposed to have been out for a year now, however everytime they get close to bringing it online another glitch is found, I believe the latest glitch is almost fixed.

The new exam will give you commands and then using the joystick and throttle you will execute the commands.

Form's 3,4,5 will be archived when the new version comes out, so you will only be able to take the new version twice, once for form 6 once for form 7

add what was said above, the old scores will still be valid.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The new ASTB sounds damn close to the AFOQT.

I think you mean the TBAS. From what I recall, the only difference is that on this test you have a throttle instead of foot pedals. And on the TBAS you had to type a string of letters you memorized from the instructions to deal with the "emergencies" rather than executing a command with the flight controls. The spatial apperception thing sounds virtually identical, but there are flashcards online for the TBAS that *should* be good for this test.

Despite a lifetime of playing flight sim-ish games, I had trouble with the inversion of the joystick on the TBAS because chasing a little space invader dude around the screen felt more like playing a first person shooter (no inverted axis) than a flight sim. So for all you xbox junkies, invert your controllers now!

flynavy830

Just curious if anybody has heard any updates about when this is rolling out? I know they are working out the glitches, just wondering because I'm itching to take it for my final attempt and I have plans of doing very well. But I have to wait 80 more days. Thanks.

David0619

hey guys. Question for ya.

I took the old version of the ASTB in April and was wondering if my scores are still good even with the new exam? anyone know?
thanks

Renegade One

None
Spatial Apperception
From here on is where they changed it up most. You’re given an illustration showing how a UAV is situated over a target area. On the right you’re shown a building with four parking lots oriented in a North, South, East, and West layout...
There's a hint here of things to come, I guess...
Personality Test
I hope the old choice: "Would you rather set a formal dinner table or throw up on a crowded bus?" question is still in there. That was the one that made the difference, I'm sure…

Where else would we find such [wo]men? ;)

exNavyOffRec

hey guys. Question for ya.

I took the old version of the ASTB in April and was wondering if my scores are still good even with the new exam? anyone know?
thanks

Good for life, well actually scores are good until you age out, they don't do you any good after that.