• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New version of ASTB coming out with video game type interaction?

USNShadow

Round 2
I have heard from my OSO that there is a new version of the ASTB coming out in March, were the flight exam portion is more like a video game? Is there any truth behind this?
Thanks for the help.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Er, if it's anything like the one I tested while in API, that sucks. Talk about a goat rope, I don't know how the average person did on that thing, but it sucked ass. As far as a 'game' I generally thing of those as enjoyable, this is more like a video ass raping . . .

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have heard from my OSO that there is a new version of the ASTB coming out in March, were the flight exam portion is more like a video game? Is there any truth behind this?
Thanks for the help.

Gen 1

the-last-starfighter-case-view.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks for the help.

Don't know if it's coming out in March but those of us who are starting up IFS here pretty soon are taking it now as part of a test group... It's much like the AFOQT and the TBAS that the AF has their guys take.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know there's a new version coming out that is almost VIDEO GAME like, but I don't have the specifics of when. From what was explained to me, the VIDEO GAME like test will evaluate an applicant's ability to multi-task.

-ea6bflyr ;)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The one I had was a stick in right hand and throttle in the other. You were supposed to use the reticule that the stick controlled over the target while holding the reticule that the throttle controlled over a separate target. The targets moved independently and apparently randomly. Then they threw in an EP that they would give you and had to push buttons in a certain order. I wasn't a big fan . . . have fun with it :)

m26

Contributor
Good timing for me, for once. Sounds like this would test actual abilities, rather than skill at guessing multiple choice answers, which is what I attribute my ASTB score and subsequent selection to. :p

USNShadow

Round 2
Thanks for the help. I understand the reasoning behind this new version which is designated to come out, however is it really as horrible as you have all stated? lol

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
There was also a section where you would hear different letters and numbers in your headset, and depending on whether it was a letter or number or even or odd and what earphone it was coming out of, you had to push a button on either the stick or throttle. Something like that. And there was another section that involved a UAV and targets---not as fun as it sounds. It made me feel like a complete fucking retard. It sucked.

Erthwerm

Man, and just when I thought I wouldn't have to take the TBAS over again... Well, I hope this test doesn't come out for a while.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The joke must have gone right over your head. Never see the movie?

The%20Last%20Starfighter.JPG

Some people just have no culture! (Nice HD DVD find too! I actually have a copy of Blazing Saddles on Laser Disc... )

gotta_fly

pilot
If it is the test we all took there's good news and bad news. The bad news is it really does suck pretty bad. The good news is that I have yet to talk to a single person who thought they did well on it. That means you'll probably just be racked and stacked against other people who sucked at that test. Good luck!