• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New trend (poll)- bringing mini white-boards to the brief

Are the mini white-boards a good idea?

• Good- shows motivation and saves time.

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Bad- you should spit everything out from memory.

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Neutral- I could care less if I were the IP.

Votes: 25 37.9%

• Total voters

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I used a board at home to study and draw systems, but I never dragged it into a brief. My roomate did, and I promptly asked him WTF he was doing. He later told me his instructor made him erase it, and then brief the flight. Don't be a tool! I think VT-3 has scarred him for life.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best multi-jet brief I ever saw/attended was done with a overhead projector with a wet-erase pen. Short, simple and to the point. This occurred after the Boat-NET went down and there were no saved backup copies on ZIP drives.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Okay, so I must redeem myself - Before I got into primary I found this thread and thought to myself, "Well I guess that makes sense, draw your stuff, bring it in, save time and off to the flight." Now that I'm up here... anybody can do a take home test. Know your aircraft. Period.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Regardless, e-briefs are trickling down through the training command, so eventually you'll be pointing and clicking anyways.

Whoever first used the Powerpoint/Flatscreen combo to brief a flight needs to be hung up from a tree until semi-conscious, taken down, beaten with an aluminum bat, and then hanged again until dead.

Now it's the goddamn standard and no one can taxi a section accross the flight line without a Powerpoint brief that includes 4 aerial photographs with a 10 page smartpack handout.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
When I first got to the fleet, I sucked at briefing. Some of you will suck and some of you will be average. I had to find something that worked for me so when giving a board brief in the fleet, I wrote the brief out on a standard piece of paper the night before. I could make it fit the entire board, be logically organized, and I could murderboard it. At some point you will powerpoint brief. Yes the mobile brief board is dorky. Just put it on a piece of paper and transcribe it in the brief space. And if by chance you are combat briefing it where there is no white board, whip out your piece of paper and you have a brief board sans looking like a tool.

Concur. Just use paper. In a pinch, there is always a few blank pages in the back of your approach plates.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, so I must redeem myself - Before I got into primary I found this thread and thought to myself, "Well I guess that makes sense, draw your stuff, bring it in, save time and off to the flight." Now that I'm up here... anybody can do a take home test. Know your aircraft. Period.

You must be a vt-3 stud