• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New TRACOM/FRS IP training video

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As an early '83 birth myself, I don't really feel like I am part of Gen X or Gen Y. My siblings were all smack in the middle of Gen X, and they led a significantly different childhood than I did, growing up for the most part in the 1970's and early 1980's. I was basically a kid in the early '90's, though I guess I remember some things from the late '80's. But on the same token, I was almost an adult when we had computers everywhere, cellphones, and even older when we had wifi and even flip phones or txt messages. I guess there was Real World when I was growing up (at least the first few seasons), but reality TV, and the narcissistic influence it had on a lot of folks who are college aged now, was not a factor for us. I don't think people were any different then, before us, or after, but some of these things have reinforced negative traits in a minority that wouldn't have otherwise been thought of as acceptable previously. Just my .02

jtdees

Puddle Jumper
pilot
As an early '83 birth myself, I don't really feel like I am part of Gen X or Gen Y. My siblings were all smack in the middle of Gen X, and they led a significantly different childhood than I did, growing up for the most part in the 1970's and early 1980's. I was basically a kid in the early '90's, though I guess I remember some things from the late '80's. But on the same token, I was almost an adult when we had computers everywhere, cellphones, and even older when we had wifi and even flip phones or txt messages. I guess there was Real World when I was growing up (at least the first few seasons), but reality TV, and the narcissistic influence it had on a lot of folks who are college aged now, was not a factor for us. I don't think people were any different then, before us, or after, but some of these things have reinforced negative traits in a minority that wouldn't have otherwise been thought of as acceptable previously. Just my .02

I was born in 86, but entered the Navy with the c/o 2011, and I sometimes (often?) sense a difference just in those three years difference between me and them, just like you describe.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That's why the current categorization of making 'generations' span 20 years is silly. It probably should be half that and with the way technology has progressed recently you could even say 1/4.

Pags

N/A
pilot
See, the millennials are so special they refuse to be put into a category that doesn't make them feel truly unique. They need to have the whole system changed just so they can feel special and like all their needs are being addressed.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yea, because it totally makes sense to put me into the same category as someone born after I graduated high school, or my parents in the same category as someone who was fighting in Vietnam while my parents were wearing diapers. In fact, depending on who you ask, it's possible that my parents and I are in the same generation! #mindblown.

In a somewhat related story, I'm sure you all have heard about the 300 or so teenagers who threw a wild party at a football player's mansion.

Now, I'd be lying if I said I've never been at parties where minors were drinking alcohol and some of them felt that they needed to make the carpet their personal bathroom. So I don't blame their parents for that part. But had I been caught at such an event and the homeowner was nice enough to promise not to press charges if I cleaned up the place, my parents wouldn't threaten to sue. My dad would promptly remind me I'm never too old to catch a beating, and would have sent me over there when the player offered pennance.

Pissing on the carpet: idiot drunk teenager's fault. Not holding teenager accountable? Parent's fault.

So before you go on deriding the current generation entering adulthood, which apparently also includes people who have entered adulthood 12 years ago, ask yourself why members of generation x thinks they needed to protect little Timmy even when he's caught red handed.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yea, because it totally makes sense to put me into the same category as someone born after I graduated high school, or my parents in the same category as someone who was fighting in Vietnam while my parents were wearing diapers. In fact, depending on who you ask, it's possible that my parents and I are in the same generation! #mindblown.

In a somewhat related story, I'm sure you all have heard about the 300 or so teenagers who threw a wild party at a football player's mansion.

Now, I'd be lying if I said I've never been at parties where minors were drinking alcohol and some of them felt that they needed to make the carpet their personal bathroom. So I don't blame their parents for that part. But had I been caught at such an event and the homeowner was nice enough to promise not to press charges if I cleaned up the place, my parents wouldn't threaten to sue. My dad would promptly remind me I'm never too old to catch a beating, and would have sent me over there when the player offered pennance.

Pissing on the carpet: idiot drunk teenager's fault. Not holding teenager accountable? Parent's fault.

So before you go on deriding the current generation entering adulthood, which apparently also includes people who have entered adulthood 12 years ago, ask yourself why members of generation x thinks they needed to protect little Timmy even when he's caught red handed.
I don't think anyone was deriding the current generation....just poking fun. But I guess we just need to heap the praise on some more!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
See, the millennials are so special they refuse to be put into a category that doesn't make them feel truly unique. They need to have the whole system changed just so they can feel special and like all their needs are being addressed.

In all serialness.....my brother is older than my skipper. I am quasi lumped into his generation, and thus my skipper's. Is that accurate? Probably not........

Same would go for the tweeners these days......if I were ever a skipper, they would be my JO's, but yet the same "generation" per convention

But yes, I need some special attention :) And for the record, my parents were baby boomers....born in 1937/1947 respectively. So I guess I have even less in common with anyone near my age

Last edited: