• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New to forum. Need reliable gouges to study for ASTB

chargers123

Hello,

Just to say a bit about myself, my goal is to take this test in July and use as much information as I can from these forums. My dad was a navy doctor in the past so he's been giving me a lot of advice and unfortunately for me, I'm pretty sure the Master's program I was accepted into doesn't count for the HPSP. I did get into one of the top applied psychology programs. It is Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness, but that burden of debt is not what I want in my life right now, but joining the navy is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Overall, interests of mine are intelligence, public affairs, information professional and navy aviator. I've talked with previous recruiters, along with my dad and they are pretty sure that the Master's program doesn't count. If it did, it would of been competitive with other applicants because of the school I got into, but since that's not the case, I need advice on what gouges to use to study for the test on top of the book I already have for the mechanical section. Please let me know what tests are reliable as I know they updated the test before. The book is called Master The Mechanical and Aptitude and Spatial Relations 7th edition by Peterson. I looked at previous forums and was wanting to know if any of these links/attachments are still reliable and what methods and books are still good after the test was updated. Again, sorry for the long post, but I want to be prepared.

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/gouge-download.5427/

Attachments

• ASTB Personal Study Guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 124

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
God bless you for using the search function and finding what you did. I would expect people will be MUCH more inclined to go out of their way to help you out around here.

Aspirants, take note! ;)

chargers123

If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you all the gouge I compiled.

That would be great! I see your scores are very good. I need as much help as I can get. If you can show me how you study for the math, that would be great also because I struggle in that area.

nightflaw

The study guide you attached is still legit. I used it, the Barron's book, and the Peterson's book. Also used some random flash cards I found on the web, but they weren't very helpful.

The study guide and the Barron's book were the most helpful. Barron's will teach you the HOW and WHY behind the test questions, so I read that first. I had no prior knowledge of aviation or aerodynamics beforehand, and the Barron's book was so good that the real test questions were a breeze.

Same thing with the math. There were a few things I had to Google but overall Barron's covered almost everything I needed.

I only used the Peterson's book for its sample tests. I thought it did a terrible job of trying to teach the subjects.

Summary: use the study guide and the Barron's book :)

Rod4Navy

Great post's guys I am using all these resources to do my best on retaking the OAR. I am looking at testing in January 2019. I took it three years ago and got a 39 without studying. I enlisted and here we are again now the bar is a bit lower gotta get a 40 or higher to meet minimum standards, believe me I need all the help I can get, I get super anxious about tests. If you could PM me that mechanical comprehensions as well would be greatly appreciated. From what I vaguely remember, it was mostly concepts not actual math problems, like images etc. I don't recal what the actual math and verbal were like, should I focus on the Math Verbal tests on the Arco and the one on this link http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/militaryflight.pdf. Thank you again guys, I have gathered plenty of info on what a complete application looks like thank you!

V/R
ET3 Rodriguez

xcinman

Awaiting my commission in May
@Rod4Navy I didn't study much, but have collected a large amount of gouge I can share with you if you pm your email to me. 90 percent of the gouge I used was found on this forum though, so with some digging around, you can honestly find the best stuff here on the forum.