• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New to all things military...help!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Are there OCS socks as well?
Nope
690013.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I recommend:

zombie_attack.jpg
Top 10 Lessons for Surviving a Zombie Attack

1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
4. Blades don’t need reloading.
5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And there's your first piece of advice...if you want a serious answer to a question, don't ask anybody wearing wings. :D

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'm engaged to a student naval aviator and I know NOTHING about military life. I'll be moving to Pensacola in mid-april and I feel like I should know a bit more and be prepared. Any suggestions??

Back on topic...a few things i've observed in my own marriage over the last 5 years...

1) My wife has been involved heavily with the spouse's clubs since we were engaged in San Diego. Get involved with the "Wives club" unless it becomes a "Knives club" in which case, RUN.

2) FFSC (Fleet and Family Service Center) Military 101 class...helped her with some of the day to day stuff.

3) Our squadron has a "Spouse FAM-0" introduction to your spouse's flight training class. I'm sure that they have something like that in PCola too...

4) Don't get frustrated when you fight and he can roll over and go to bed without solving things...it's called "Compartmentalization" and by the time that flight school is done, he's going to be a champ at it.

5) Enjoy it. Moving is a blast - after the 3rd or 4th time you do it.

6) Get a job/hobby/education. There's no 9-5 job for him anymore...so it'll keep your mind off of the separation.

7) Wait to have kids until after he's done with flight training (about 2 years).

Any others, besides MB encouraging a prenup and Brett talking her out of it?

~D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've worn Blackshoes and Brown...competitive beat-downness is the national SWO pasttime. "The Captain wants to kill me more than he wants to kill you."

But anyway, back on topic. Like Chunks said, flight school isn't a 9-to-5 proposition. It's more like a new doctor in his residency - weird unpredictable hours, memorizing hundreds of esoteric technical items, etc. It's not that he is putting the job before you by choice, it's just how it is. Be prepared for it, and help him as much as you can (some wives wind up knowing the T-34 EPs better than their husbands).