• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Skipper for the Sun Downers (VFC-111)

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
'Top Gun' fueled new squadron leader
Jet-fighter pilot training chief heads Sun Downers
BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
alinhardt@keysnews.com

There may be no other Navy fighter pilot who has seen the movie "Top Gun" more than Cmdr. Joe "Monty" McMonigle.

The Philadelphia native and father of two sat in his large, windowed office at Naval Air Station Key West Thursday as the newest commander of Composite Fighter Squadron 111 (VFC-111), also known as the Sun Downers. He was recalling his love of airplanes from an early age when, as a kid, he dreamed of flying the powerful British single-propeller Spitfire in the skies over Europe during World War II.

Full text here:

http://keysnews.com/node/37817

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
RAG mate of mine, great dude. The screen boards get something right every once in a while... although his path to screen was a bit contrived.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to jack the thread, but when I read a reporter's article talking about "a dangerous maneuver called a 'flared landing,'" I wonder why I trust the news media to get the stuff right that I don't do for a living. :p

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Spoke to him this weekend while I was down there for Fighter Det. He really does seem like a great guy.

His brother was a Marine Harrier type and was my OSO - If it wasn't for him and all the strings he was able to pull, I wouldn't be here.