• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New scholarship rules

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Hell, I have an Animal Science degree, I almost flunked business math (you know, matrices, accounting shit, algebra) and had Jet scores in Primary and did decently in Advanced...YOUR MAJOR MEANS NOTHING!!!
Pickle

At the end of the day, as high and mighty as KCOTT is about all the super tough thermo classes he took and how they make him superior because him and engineers are the only ones that study, my commission will be the exact same. Last time I checked, they still don't have an API for enginerds and a seperate one for the basket-weavers.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
question here...assuming they have already learned the trade and became a capable officer, would the navy be better off if all of its officers had an engineering major or a liberal arts major?

No.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
i think you're missing his point, no where did he say that having an engineering degree would favor you in flight school, if that were the case, then it would be best for the navy to only send engineering majors to flight school

he's just commenting on the style of thinking for that of engineers, and he's right, most do over analyze and attack a problem from many different perspectives, which in some cases can be good or bad - good because you might be able to find a solution that a non-tech wasn't able to find, but bad because you took forever to come up with the solution because you had analyzed the scenario too much and for too long

one major advantage i notice in those who have tech degrees, is their persistence and willpower, which will help them get through the grind and frustrations of training...trust me, there's nothing more demotivating and painful as studying until 5 am in the morning for a dynamics exam later that day...shit sucks, but they get through it because of their persistence and willpower, two attributes that would bode well for any naval officer in the fleet, technical degree or not...im not saying all non-techs can't possess those traits (since i am technically a non-tech myself but have been there), but when you encounter the frustrations and pains of training in the fleet, engineering majors were already there their freshman year of college...it's a mindset they've been able to develop and refine

Listen up folks, Mr KCOTTS, with all his Naval Experience is explaining how it is :sleep_125 Fucking wannabe's and their extensive knowledge :eek:

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
i think you're missing his point, no where did he say that having an engineering degree would favor you in flight school, if that were the case, then it would be best for the navy to only send engineering majors to flight school

he's just commenting on the style of thinking for that of engineers, and he's right, most do over analyze and attack a problem from many different perspectives, which in some cases can be good or bad - good because you might be able to find a solution that a non-tech wasn't able to find, but bad because you took forever to come up with the solution because you had analyzed the scenario too much and for too long

one major advantage i notice in those who have tech degrees, is their persistence and willpower, which will help them get through the grind and frustrations of training...trust me, there's nothing more demotivating and painful as studying until 5 am in the morning for a dynamics exam later that day...shit sucks, but they get through it because of their persistence and willpower, two attributes that would bode well for any naval officer in the fleet, technical degree or not...im not saying all non-techs can't possess those traits (since i am technically a non-tech myself but have been there), but when you encounter the frustrations and pains of training in the fleet, engineering majors were already there their freshman year of college...it's a mindset they've been able to develop and refine

Donny, please.

Clearly you missed MY point. I simply stated there isn't any particular college major that will set you up for success in flight school. The lone exception is those that were flight majors. Trust me, I don't care what your academic backgroud is, anyone can screw it up.

You don't need deep engineering analytical skills to be successful in aviation. What you do need is a pilot's understanding of your aircraft. That comes from studying NATOPS, learning systems, asking questions of senior pilots, and talking to the maintainers about what is broken on the plane. If you understand the heat properties of a metal being used in the engine....congratulations. I know the limit of the engine and know that it'll blow up if do "x". It's the pilot's understanding that will keep you alive or help you fly the aircraft effectively and safely. How the hell is calculus based physics going to help me there? The only math you need is addition and subtraction. I think the most difficult math problem I've had is to figure out how many pounds I'm burning an hour.

Does does the will power you learned studying for engineering in college help you in flight school? It's a new ball game when flight school starts, you have to dig deep. In hindsight, college seemed like a joke compared to flight school. The will power is fueled by the drive to be a Naval Aviator....not because you stayed up until 5am studying in college. Don't whine about how hard you worked in college, you picked it.

I'm saying all this as a guy who was a lib arts major in college and had no real technical experience prior to flight school. I did the required hard classes in college like calc and calc based physics....I didn't do well here, but I passed. I moved on to flight school, worked hard, and got my wings. I definitely did not feel that my liberal arts background was a disadvantage. I saw guys with both types of backgrounds bomb in flight school, so I can say in my experience that your background really does not matter. Again, my statements are directed at aviation, not the other navy communities.

The NROTC program is moving towards more technical majors, thats a fact of life. I'm glad I went through the program when majors weren't scrutinized as much.

sickboy

pilot
I'd argue that Augusts Buell's description of a Naval Officer still stands true today - he goes on to say "...He should be as well a gentleman of liberal education, refined manners..."

Whoever said something about all Mids taking calc and physics is 100% correct. But at my school (Penn State) at least, it works the other way around. We have a certain amount of history and polisci classes to take.
So just because I'm a Mechanical engineer, doesn't mean that I'm not exposed to the liberal arts side of things.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
oh jeeze, i think everyone has misunderstood what i was trying to say, i guess text on a computer makes it more difficult to get a point across

i never said having an engineering degree makes flight school easier, i know a bunch of old middies who are now commissioned that got through just fine, nor did i ever claim to have vast knowledge of fleet experience, but its flattering that some of you think thats what im trying to convey

basically in summary, i could care less what the navy does now when offering their scholarships, because i already got mine and commission in december, and some of you think im some sort of enginerd - no, thats not the case, im a liberal arts major (international studies) who used to be in engineering...i see why the navy would want more engineers in the coming years, and it doesn't really bother me if that's what they want to do

didn't mean to cause a rucous (however that word is spelled)

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
oh jeeze, i think everyone has misunderstood what i was trying to say, i guess text on a computer makes it more difficult to get a point across

i never said having an engineering degree makes flight school easier, i know a bunch of old middies who are now commissioned that got through just fine, nor did i ever claim to have vast knowledge of fleet experience, but its flattering that some of you think thats what im trying to convey

basically in summary, i could care less what the navy does now when offering their scholarships, because i already got mine and commission in december, and some of you think im some sort of enginerd - no, thats not the case, im a liberal arts major (international studies) who used to be in engineering...i see why the navy would want more engineers in the coming years, and it doesn't really bother me if that's what they want to do

didn't mean to cause a rucous (however that word is spelled)

Please dude, do me a favor and do a brief search for the shit key on your keyboard. I am pretty sure that it is there. There probably are even two of them. I would even go so far as to say that there is an apostrophe key too. It is hard to take someone seriously when they can't even create correct sentence structure.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Please dude, do me a favor and do a brief search for the shit key on your keyboard. I am pretty sure that it is there. There probably are even two of them. I would even go so far as to say that there is an apostrophe key too. It is hard to take someone seriously when they can't even create correct sentence structure.

Just wanted that on the record... you know... in case you end up editing. :D

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
For some odd reason, my spell check didn't find it. :eek:

I think everybody's keyboard should have a shit key. :icon_tong