• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Retired ID...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...do I care?

I think my wife's ID just expired so I need to go with her and get her a new one. Since I'll be there anyway, I was wondering if I should bother getting the new ID for me while I'm there. Does it do anything my old ID doesn't already do? Besides not looking retro.

On a completely unrelated note, it's ridiculous how many credentials and cards I have to carry, and the AMEX Platinum doesn't help. I down-sized to a new wallet and it won't hold everything.

Where are the clouds to yell at!?!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It does look nicer. Doesn't do anything better than the old beside security. I do think it is a bit smaller.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Huh, interesting. I haven't had the airlines turn their nose up at my old retired ID. If they did, I'd still have my driver's license, but I guess I never really paid attention to if it was RealID.

I did have an airline counter person ask if I was active duty when I presented my contractor CAC one time. I guess she wasn't looking too hard at the ID. I couldn't, in good conscience, say yes. Besides, AMEX was paying for the luggage anyway.

taxi1

pilot
I was told this by the crotchety ID dude at the local reserve center who did our new IDs. The unspoken part was "so suck it, PA DMV" since they charge more money for the Real ID version of our driver's license. He took great delight in that.

I had my old pink ID turned away at some gates recently, didn't know why. The gate guards didn't know either. It's expiration was indefinite. Mr. crotchety dude explained the pink one said "reserve retired" on it, while the new one now just says "retired" and I was supposed to get a new one when turning 60, even though the old one was expiration = never. With big brother tied into the scanning devices across the universe, they picked up on it and were shutting me down.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Huh, interesting. I haven't had the airlines turn their nose up at my old retired ID. If they did, I'd still have my driver's license, but I guess I never really paid attention to if it was RealID.

I did have an airline counter person ask if I was active duty when I presented my contractor CAC one time. I guess she wasn't looking too hard at the ID. I couldn't, in good conscience, say yes. Besides, AMEX was paying for the luggage anyway.

Its TSA that cares about REAL ID. The airlines don’t care about it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So when I give up my CAC at retirement I assume I lose my free TSA Precheck status?
Yep. So start the Global Entry app now. Interview back log is many months. AMEX Platinum will cover the application fee.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
while the new one now just says "retired" and I was supposed to get a new one when turning 60, even though the old one was expiration = never.
The green ones have an expiration date on them, as well. It's for switching over to Medicare.
Its TSA that cares about REAL ID.
Apparently they don't (if the green one truly isn't a Real ID).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently they don't (if the green one truly isn't a Real ID).
Real ID is not required yet, is it? TSA may not reject the old one becasue they have no issue yet.

A gate agent once rejected my old pink Reserve ID saying that legally it wasn't a government approved form of identification becasue it had no birth date. Never followed up on that. Never heard it again.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
On a related note, has anyone had an issue using new CACs at the TSA checkpoint? The last few times I’ve flown the machine has rejected it, and according to to the agent on duty they’ve been having problems with newer CACs. I’ve ended up having to use my (non-Real ID) PA drivers license each time.