• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new Reserve Ensign medical transfer opportunity

crusin2navy

Hoping someone can shed some light on this:
Scenario:
I was selected for the Supply Corps via DCO board and my ultimate goal is to transfer into the HPSP or go to USUHS.
I have about 3 years before I'll be ready for med school, still taking my pre-reqs and MCAT and my recruiter told me it would be no problem to get a "conditional release" from my command since I was still staying in the Navy and with the shortage of docs. He said they would readily be able to replace a supply corps officer and would release me at that time. I just wonder how valid his statement is. Will I likely encounter any struggle to get that release into the HPSP or will I be stuck for my 8 year committment in the Supply Corps and have to wait to go medical until after that? any encouragement would be great. I just decided to take the plunge and take the risk. I was told if I had declined the commission that I would likely be "blackballed" in the eyes of ever obtaining a Naval Commission again.

Ens. Navy Reserves
Supply Corps

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Hoping someone can shed some light on this:
Scenario:
I was selected for the Supply Corps via DCO board and my ultimate goal is to transfer into the HPSP or go to USUHS.
I have about 3 years before I'll be ready for med school, still taking my pre-reqs and MCAT and my recruiter told me it would be no problem to get a "conditional release" from my command since I was still staying in the Navy and with the shortage of docs. He said they would readily be able to replace a supply corps officer and would release me at that time. I just wonder how valid his statement is. Will I likely encounter any struggle to get that release into the HPSP or will I be stuck for my 8 year committment in the Supply Corps and have to wait to go medical until after that? any encouragement would be great. I just decided to take the plunge and take the risk. I was told if I had declined the commission that I would likely be "blackballed" in the eyes of ever obtaining a Naval Commission again.
Congrats on your selection. Having said that, you have to go into these things fully on-board with what you're signing into. Will you "likely encounter any struggle" if you want to redesignate? Hard to say, but I could envision scenarios where it might be hard - like if you were mobilized and in the Sandbox, doing Supply things. Keep in mind that the DIRCOM process is highly competitive, and that there are plenty of other people who would love the billet if you don't really want it.

If you want to be a doc, awesome. Do what you need to do to become one. Don't become a Supply Officer with your eyes on another prize, though - do it because you're interested in that domain and want to contribute. Otherwise, you could very easily find yourself in some unhappy positions.

crusin2navy

hm

hopefully gonna be able to do both-
I already signed my oath for the Supply Corps and will be working in the meantime to press towards the Medical Corps. I'm not eligible for mobilization until I become fully designated. which I can take up to 3 years to become so I'm taking my time. in the meantime just doing what I gotta do to get towards that goal.