• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New PRT?

SWO Bro

I heard a rumor that they changed the PRT from running, curl-ups and push-ups to something different, can anyone confirm or deny this?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
'They' haven't changed anything yet, but I did see the front page of the Navy Times today had something about changing the PRT. I'll see if I can find a link.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
And, as we know, if it's in the Navy Crimes, it has gotta be legit.

It's clearly the best, most reliable source of information. How else would I know what's going on outside of HT-land? :icon_wink

Bevo16

pilot
The Navy PRP office is right next to mine, and I know the guy who is in charge of the changes. There are a lot of possible changes in the works, mostly for the better. These aren't tweaks, but wholesale changes. When Pete gets back from TAD, I'll see if I can get some specifics.

MasterBates

If it's what was in the crimes. I'm fooked.

Shuttle runs? Agility drills? Hell no. My knees will be so screwed. It's the Navy, not the NFL.

Now, how about you go through a run course that simulates getting from WR-1 to Ready 8, at a run while clearing knee knockers while not hitting your head. Use ropes vice steel to make it "safe".

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Get rid of situps and pushups and just use a 5k. If you can't run a 5k under thirty minutes, that says more about overall fitness than the myriad other reindeer games they'll come up.

No offense to Bevo's buddy - but whatever good ideas he comes up with are going to be summarily waterd down at the flag level.

begin flame-ex..... now.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Why not make everyone swim... We are the Navy and we tend to do stuff around the water a bunch...

The odds you'll need to run a mile and a half is a whole lot less likely than the odds you may have to swim 500 yards.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not make everyone swim... We are the Navy and we tend to do stuff around the water a bunch...

The odds you'll need to run a mile and a half is a whole lot less likely than the odds you may have to swim 500 yards.

I dunno. Considering the number of Sailors who have been "boots on the ground" these days vs. Sailors we've put in the water during "combat ops" (or by accident), I think the run is going to prove more useful.

I'm with Paddles - 5K

Brett

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Dunno about you guys but the big killer is the gear that you wear in combat. Fine you can run a 5k, but can you stand in your helmet, body armor, combat load of ammo, radio, grenades, rifle, etc etc etc etc for 18 hours at a time. Better yet hump a good 10-15 k of that? I DOthink a 5k would be a good measuring stick to see if you can do that.

The army was kind of strange, they stuck to the APFT, but every commander knew that company runs and training needed to be in body armor with gear, because that is the only way you are going to get used to it.

Got no recommendations, just something to think about. You aviators probably understand that kind of thing well because of the types of maneuvers you endure and I know the Marines were PTing with body armor before it was even cool.

It just seems that there are two schools of thought on physical fitness:

ONE make physical training similar to combat
or
TWO maintain PT standards to ensure health and overall wellness/discipline standards

maybe the Marines have it right with this new idea:

i'm just waiting for them to add the high speed torso burrito to that new PFT (CFT)