• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New NFO Applicant

Crazy*Carl

I just finished the application process for Naval Flight Officer and will hear if I am selected late next month. First a little about myself.

I am 23 and I graduated college in May with a 3.00 in Aerospace Engineering. I am an FAA certified commercial pilot and CFI/CFII with about 400 hours. I scored an 8/8/9/60 on the ASTB. I currently work as a civilian Flight Instructor.

My eyesight doesn't meet naval aviator minimums (I have about 20/400). I am aware of the PRK possibility, but am deciding not to do this mainly because the NFO position highly interests me and PRK requires a long wait followed by a very uncertain chance of selection. I already have all my ratings/certificates (except ATP) and I think NFO will be a excellent experience whether I enter the aerospace industry after, or even decide to go to the airlines. I am sure I will have plenty of opportunity to fly on the side in the Navy or perhaps even instruct at naval flying clubs.

I have been reading these forums extensively trying to get a feel for what an NFO is. From what I have learned, it seems like a job that interests me and one I can excel in.

A few questions I have for any current or former NFO's:

-How often do you fly (both stationed on a carrier or land)?
-What do NFO's specifically do when they are not flying, training, or flight planning/briefing?
-If I do very well in API/Primary, do I have a good shot at landing on an Super Hornet or Growler NFO slot?
-Are they still going to be taking Prowler SNFO's in a year or are they transitioning most to the Growler?
-How long is a typical carrier deployment? I have heard anywhere from 3-6 months.
-Do you get internet/computer access during OCS/API/Primary? :D

Thanks very much for any answers. I am sure I will have more.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I can only answer the last one as I'm an SNFO in API and soon to be Primary in another week or so soon.

At OCS you have internet but won't be able to use it until you reach the academic phase in like week 5 or 6 and move up to the second floor (this will make more sense when you get there). Otherwise, it will be up to the discretion of your DI to let you use internet.

After that, you will have internet whenever you want. You're not living in barracks during API/Primary.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I'll take a stab at a few of these. Just a helpful piece of grammar gouge, "NFO's" is possessive. NFOs would be plural. Anyways, when NFOs aren't flying, they are doing their ground jobs. As a naval officer, your first job is to lead your sailors. That said, you will become a Division Officer (Div O) over something like maintenance, safety, scheduling, ops, etc. at your squadron. If you do well in API and primary, well, congratulations. No one leaves API and checks into the squadron and the SDO says, "WOW you got a 100 on nav! You're gonna be one heck of a Super Hornet NFO!" Now, always do your best, and be constantly improving, but just realize that API is mainly a program for the Navy to see how well you can adapt to even more stress. So, your platform is dictated by 1) the needs of the Navy, 2) your grades, and 3) your desires/availability of a certain platform. RIGHT NOW in NFO primary, most 1370s are getting their first or second choices.

Tailhook sounds sweet, but you may change your desires once you're in the pipeline. I was all about flying fast and looking cool...until I learned about P-3s/EP-3s. Per diem, good duty locations, deployment cycle, community atmosphere, time to wings, not wearing a g suit, not wearing a helmet, being able to walk to the head/being able to use the head, there's my plug for P-3s. But guess what, if they're like, "hey, stupid, the maritime pipeline is closed, and you have jet grades, go across the ramp to VT-86! (tailhook school)" I won't be the least bit disappointed. Bottom line, you are going to love whatever community you are put in, just some more than others. Like I said, jets sounds awesome, and they are badass, don't get me wrong. Just my personal desire to go to JAX after many conversations with pilots/NFOs from different platforms. Okay, computer access at OCS? Yeah, on Sundays from 1400-1800 to check your email. Until you're a candio (9 weeks in) you can basically forget about phone calls or computer usage, other than taking tests on them. You hit candio phase and then the iPhones and Black Berries come out. OCS is a huge kick in the nuts, but you can do anything for 12 weeks. When you graduate OCS, you are a commissioned Navy Ensign. You get nice things like BAH, O-1 pay, and you also get to do things like get paid to live in paradise.

You're not worried about things like "can I use my computer during API?" You're more worried about, "am I making the NSS?" or "which sushi restaurant am I going to become a regular at?" The sushi thing has been discussed in depth here. Anyways, last thing here. You're getting in with those ASTB scores, plain and simple. If you don't it's sinful. The other questions you asked I'm not accurately able to answer yet. Anyways, work harder than the people around you, don't give a crap if they call you lame or a douchebag. It's MUCH better to be the douchebag with the best grades than the guy that everybody liked that's going to the redesignation board or getting rolled back a couple OCS classes. Work your butt off, and always be asking, "What can I do to improve?" At OCS, there's nothing you can do to improve, except maybe be louder. No one is "good" at OCS. No drill instructor is ever going to say, "damn, that kid really knows what he's doing and we're lucky to have him aboard!" Not gonna happen. You do what you know is right, and work harder than your peers. Good luck.

badger16

None
^7hr preflights however, are not a selling point for the P-3. haha

All kidding aside he is right, you will enjoy whatever you get picked up to fly. That being said it is very rare that the dude in first doesn't get what they want. So work you ass off and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck and if you have any more questions as to the actual pipeline, I would search for the sticky threads about the different communities and what to expect. Cheers.

Crazy*Carl

Thanks for the great advise.

I don't have my heart set on the F-18 or anything. I would be happy to serve on any aircraft in the Navy. Hopefully I get selected and I will give it everything. I feel good about it.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@mtsupilot...dude, please use paragraphs..my eyes hurt from reading all that.

@ the OP, in regards to your Prowler/Growler question. When I started flight school, we were told there wouldn't be any more Prowler NFO slots. Heck, when I started advanced, there still weren't any Prowler slots. But, about halfway through my time there, they reopened the pipeline and they've been selecting two or three prowler guys every couple of months since then. I'm in the Prowler RAG now, and it doesn't seem like they're planning on slowing down the pipeline any time soon, in fact, they're in the process of standing up a new RAG syllabus for the latest Prowler variant.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that it'll be exclusively Growlers by the time you get to that point, but as my situation shows, YMMV.

Whidbey Island's awesome, btw, especially if you like the outdoors.

Crazy*Carl

My OSO informed me today that there is no NFO slots until 2011 and that I would be waiting about a year to begin OCS as an NFO. However he then told me that I can apply for SNA and get excepted prior to PRK eye surgery. Then its a 6 months wait and then OCS class date (It would still be about a year until OCS, but I would be a SNA instead of an NFO). I am pretty excited from hearing this. From what I have heard, I have a good chance of getting selected. :)

Sonog

pilot
My OSO informed me today that there is no NFO slots until 2011 and that I would be waiting about a year to begin OCS as an NFO. However he then told me that I can apply for SNA and get excepted prior to PRK eye surgery. Then its a 6 months wait and then OCS class date (It would still be about a year until OCS, but I would be a SNA instead of an NFO). I am pretty excited from hearing this. From what I have heard, I have a good chance of getting selected. :)

Selection is not a sure thing these days, if you have a great PFT then you might have a solid shot, but its definitely not best to think its a sure thing. i.e. have some backup plans. I'm telling you this because I was over confident that I was going to get selected for NFO for OCC-205 and I did not get selected and I was shit out of luck and living at home with nothing to do except wait for the next board. Also some OSO's are more optimistic than others. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I wish someone gave me some of this advice back when I was applying.

Crazy*Carl

Selection is not a sure thing these days, if you have a great PFT then you might have a solid shot, but its definitely not best to think its a sure thing. i.e. have some backup plans. I'm telling you this because I was over confident that I was going to get selected for NFO for OCC-205 and I did not get selected and I was shit out of luck and living at home with nothing to do except wait for the next board. Also some OSO's are more optimistic than others. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I wish someone gave me some of this advice back when I was applying.

Of course nothing is ever guaranteed. If they do reject me, it makes my decision what to do in life that much easier.