• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Lieutenant with a few burning questions

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
First of all, if anyone knows why there is such a long wait for TBS I'd love to know.

Well, it's nice to know things don't change. I graduated from college in the beginning of June and started TBS on November 13th over 20 years ago! The day you signed your contract for PLC will become your Pay Entry Based Date (PEBD). I was a PLC JR/SR candidate so by the second month I was in TBS, I was maxing O-1 pay as a O-1 over 2. This will be the only time in your career that this will mean anything. It usually irritates the Academy guys because your paycheck is a few hundred dollars more. Here is the kicker about the PEBD: if you decide to leave active duty before 20 years and join the reserves, you will gain that time toward retirement. For example, in my case:

I signed my PLC contract Jan 29, 1986 (PEBD)

Started Active duty Nov 1988 and left AD Mar 2000 (O-4 over 12)

When I joined the reserves in Nov 2000, I gained 2 satisfactory years because of PLC (each 6 week course is 55 points and you only need 50 points to qualify for a sat year)

Meaning that I only had to invest 6 more years to earn a reserve retirement vice the 8 more on active duty.

Of course, that was nearly 10 years ago and I haven't quit as yet. Just another PLC benefit that I thought I would mention.

Congratulations on your commission and "Thank you" for your service.

Semper Fi!

Frumby

BTW, be careful in the chase, they have a innate ability of changing your career. If you want to have a good laugh, watch the "very realistic" Heartbreak Ridge. The good laugh is the bar scene where the 3 Marines are harassing Mario Van Peeples about his hair. The Marine that yells "Yea, High and Tight" was a 2ndLt Platoon Commander in Camp Pendleton. His name is Col Love, Commanding Officer of the 8th Marine Regiment, currently 8th RCT, stationed in Iraq. Just proves that silly 2ndLt antics will not hurt your career but it will lead to life long harassment from your buddies!!

Calcutta126

Gay guitar pickers don't turn me on
So basically you don't get PTAD while waiting for TBS after OCS? What are the chances of reporting IMMEDIATELY to TBS after OCS like all my PLC/OCC brochures said?

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Seems like if you do OCC you report to TBS within days time.

Not necessarily true. I just graduated and commissioned OCC 201 on August 8th and out of my class I think only like 35 reported straight to TBS. I know my platoon alone commissioned 29 and we only sent 7 straight to TBS. I'm part of the crowd who commissioned into the IRR and gets to wait around till Oct. I don't mind the waiting around part, but I need to find some source of income.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Not necessarily true. I just graduated and commissioned OCC 201 on August 8th and out of my class I think only like 35 reported straight to TBS. I know my platoon alone commissioned 29 and we only sent 7 straight to TBS. I'm part of the crowd who commissioned into the IRR and gets to wait around till Oct. I don't mind the waiting around part, but I need to find some source of income.

Dang that sucks. All I've heard is things along the lines of, "graduated OCS on Saturday at 1100, commissioned at 14000, got Sunday off, reported to TBS on Monday."

ripsaw

So I suppose that assessment is coming from years and years of Fleet experience? I can only assume that you are a salty Fleet Accession SNA with at least 2 or 3 years in an Infantry Battalion (command of a Rifle platoon, Weapons platoon and Company XO at the very least). This solid analytical decree can't solely be based on 6 months of trooping and stomping through the hills of Quantico only taking short breaks from "conquering the nation's foes" to learn which fork to use at the CG's reception. Or perhaps the high sodium content of your post is the result of years in a Fleet ready-room honing your skills in support of the Infantry and no, stash time as a squadron pet/mascot doesn't count.

As I suspected your experience base must match or exceed my own from which I recommended the book. I alas only have a year and a half in an Infantry Battalion seeing how the Earthmen live and work to draw upon and a little while in fleet squadrons that is hardly worth mentioning.

Apologies sir, any saltiness was unintentional. It must have come from the pit stains on my green T shirt. I cannot top your infantry credentials; I only spent two weeks with the grunts in country and spent the other eight years as a pogue in a MWSS. I was referring to “One bullet away” as being poorly written and the author coming across as a pompous ass. I didn’t like it even before it was cool to hate it.

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
Thank You LtCol....and as far as the others go. For some reason, when I was in OCS, even though I was a PLC'er, I was put in an OCC company (Charlie). There were a handful of us candidates who were in the same boat while the rest of the platoon was commissioned on graduation day. The majority of them also received their orders for TBS the very next day and either were put in Mike Co., given two weeks leave and told when to come back, or had to be put on PTAD until jan/march. I guess I just got the short end of the stick on this one. Being home is great and all, and I have a steady source of income...but I signed up for a reason.