• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'New' IFS

jnb921

Just wanted to refresh my presence here. Been too busy trying to get studs out to chat. WX has been sour for us lately so had a few minutes to post.
I'm with SkyWarriors in Bay Minette. Be glad to field any questions or queries if I can.
Rocky

haha! Hey Rocky, didn't know you were on Airwarriors, hope all is well in Bay Minette

..... I just finished flying up at Skywarriors and had Rocky for a large number of my flights. FYI for anyone getting ready to start up IFS, I can't really speak for the other IFS schools, but Skywarriors was no cake walk. You will likely fly everyday of the week and expectations run high, which is obviously why the Navy has deemed it a "screening" process. So in short make sure you are prepared for every flight and actively improve your performance, after all you have to solo by thirteen hours or you get that first pink slip.

For those who are already there my biggest piece of advice is to try and fly with or constantly communicate with Rocky or one of the other people who give checkrides as much as possible (Lou, Ray, Lamar, etc) to get a good idea of what areas you need to be focusing on. Not that you don't learn from the other instructors, but just so you can see the full spectrum of expectations. Seen a few people who meet Rocky for the first time on a checkride and it can lead to quite a shocking experience.

Just to make it clear though, like I said, I flew with Rocky a lot. Honestly, at the beginning I can't say I enjoyed flying with him that much, hes vocal, let syou know when you screw up, can seem overwhelming. I thought my fighter pilot dreams were out the window if I couldn't handle a 172. But, by the end I felt like I learned A LOT more than I was expecting out of IFS. Pick Rocky's brain, learn from the instructors, most of them have been flying a while and have some great stories/learning experiences. Romeo Foxtrot Romeo

... last piece of advice, once you start IFS you muster and log your flights online through the IFS website instead of mustering in person in Pensacola. Almost everyone seems to forget, myself included. 3 infractions is a pink sheet. Set the IFS website to your homepage so you have to look at it everytime you get on your computer. If you forget you have to muster in person in uniform on the weekends 2-4 times depending on your # of infractions.

FlyinRock

Are you an IFS CFI? Didn't know guys were going to Bay Minette. Bay Minette, my standard "skinny runway, you'll land hard at night" runway.

Yes I'm an IFS instructor. SkyWarriors Inc in Bay Minette. Owned by former military pilots (Nav and USAF). We have 14 aircraft on the line and are staying pretty active. We opened for our first class on 1Oct07 and are already on class 8.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes I'm an IFS instructor. SkyWarriors Inc in Bay Minette. Owned by former military pilots (Nav and USAF). We have 14 aircraft on the line and are staying pretty active. We opened for our first class on 1Oct07 and are already on class 8.

Gotcha. Welcome to the site. I saw the NOTAMs for "Skywarriors" a few weeks ago but didn't know who they were.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
couple of questions:

1. I read somewhere that you can get a location near you to do IFS out of, is that true? I'm in Maine, so I was hoping that if/when I commision I could do IFS there or near by before leaving for TBS.

2. I am in the PLC program, so if I earn a commision there may be a wait of several months before getting orders to TBS. Does the time you are on active duty for IFS count as your PTAD? or could I do the 1-2 months of PTAD with an OSO, then do IFS and then leave for TBS?

3. Is there a break between IFS and TBS? would I be taken off of active duty in between?

Thanks for any info, I appreciate it.

UMichfly

pilot
None
couple of questions:

1. I read somewhere that you can get a location near you to do IFS out of, is that true? I'm in Maine, so I was hoping that if/when I commision I could do IFS there or near by before leaving for TBS.

Might want to read the thread before asking this question. It has already been answered...in this thread nonetheless.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
Ok, so you have ~9 total flight school who still have IFS contracts-which is better than the any 141 school near an ROTC unit so thats good,

Is this what you're talking about? Maybe I should have phrase my question differently. Where are these 9 schools?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
couple of questions:

2. I am in the PLC program, so if I earn a commision there may be a wait of several months before getting orders to TBS. Does the time you are on active duty for IFS count as your PTAD? or could I do the 1-2 months of PTAD with an OSO, then do IFS and then leave for TBS?

3. Is there a break between IFS and TBS? would I be taken off of active duty in between?

Thanks for any info, I appreciate it.

Dude, I told you over on the other site. I also said browse/read/absorb. It's, Quantico, Annapolis, and Pensacola. For you, Quantico and Pensacola. You will either complete it while in Mike Co at TBS before/after TBS, or at Pensacola after TBS. Either way, you're on active duty and staying on active duty.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I was in the first IFS class at Bay Minette, and had Rocky as my first aviation encounter. Rock Solid School!!! I'm currently in the middle of Contacts in Primary and about to solo the T-34 in a week or so. If any Bay Minette or any other IFS students for that matter have questions about the IFS>Primary transition feel free to contact me or check out the IFS>Primary forum in the primary section.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Whomever was flying tonight at 1R8, I was the TurboWeenie in the pattern. I've never gone in there when it was light enough to see...You're not kidding, you do have a bunch of aircraft there.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Whomever was flying tonight at 1R8, I was the TurboWeenie in the pattern. I've never gone in there when it was light enough to see...You're not kidding, you do have a bunch of aircraft there.

They are actually planning to invade Mobile. I don't think there will be much of a fight...

WIDGET

a friend in primary with a PPL told me that if you have a PPL and haven't flown in something like 3 years, they might make you do IFS. I don't think it's a black and white case with the PPL.