• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Here.

marinewife+3

I am brand new to this forum so forgive me if I am doing things a little backwards. I would like to know where I might go to get some information from wives who have children and deal with the officer lifestyle. My Husband is an Enlisted Marine with the desire to become commissioned. I need an unbiased look on how the moving and long absences affect the children in the family. My biggest concern is that my kids will be moved from school to school. What can I look forward to if I give my Husband the O.k.? Are my worries valid?

Nikkie

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
send a PM to Kathy and request access to the Private Spouses forum. They'll hook you up with whatever you want to know and then some.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
I am halfway through API and am living with my girlfriend. We just learned today that she is pregnant and while I always planned on marrying her this speeds things up a bit. We think she is a month along and since she does not have a job she also doesn't have any insurance. I'm needing to do the whole JOP thing and get her enrolled in DEERS and whatnot. How long does this take to get her benifits? Should I get married as quick as possible or wait till I graduate API in 3 weeks. I'm hoping I can take some time off inbetween. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, congratulations! Now, get your ass married and then get your wife enrolled in DEERS so she can get the right healthcare for your child. It doesn't take long for benefits as long as you get the paperwork done quickly. Of course, this all assumes you guys were going to get married anyway.

Also there is nothing wrong with going to the JOP. You are still married and you saved money. It's the Wal-mart discount of marriages. Don't tell her that, women often miss the humor in such statements.

I also agree with doing it sooner rather than later for the health and safety of your child.

Also go to the Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society's Budgeting for Babies class. It is a great program and you get free baby stuff.

Snacks

Everyone leave, I have to poop. NOW!!!
Steve's right, get married and get her enrolled in DEERS ASAP. Once you get that done, enroll her in TriCare (it's somewhere in the maze of the P-Cola hospital). It shouldn't take too long to get all that done (less than 2 hours), and then she should be able to use the medical facilities that day (you'll have to show the paperwork of course). A few weeks later you'll get a card in the mail saying who her PCM is. But get hitched ASAP and congratulations!

KimberlyD

redmariner97 said:
Also go to the Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society's Budgeting for Babies class. It is a great program and you get free baby stuff.

Aah, B4B fr a man's perspective...

We have openings in the May 3rd & May 24th classes that are held at the Naval Hospital in Pensacola, even w/out benefit of clergy, you're eligible to attend b/c the child is yours (thus your dependant). Give me a call at 455-8574 (NMCRS Pensacola) & I can get you & your soon to be wife enrolled for either of those dates, we also have a class meeting May 10th at Whiting if that interests you.