• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New! Help/advice regarding being a marine pilot.

Berryhill

First I guess I should start off with some background information. I am a senior in professional aviation at Louisiana Tech. I will be graduating this spring with a commercial certificate a CFI and hopefully a CFII and my multi engine.

This idea of becoming a Marine pilot was presented to me recentaly. When an OCS selection officer came and talked to us about flight contracts. (please excuse any ignorance on my part regarding the correct technical terms) since then all I have been able to think about becoming a marine officer and a marine pilot. I have already started training for the PT requirements and can meet and exceed them all with the exception of the 3 mile run. But that is just a matter of time.

I guess the real questions I have are what are my chances of being accepted taking into account current events, things I should start studying to prepare myself for the experience, various opinions on people's experience flying for the marines and going through the process of getting there, and any other information you think I should know and consider.

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. Just ask for any other information needed about myself and situation to help in providing feedback.

Thank you for your time and Happy Holidays,
Jon Berryhill

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Welcome.

Do a lot of searching and reading through threads. You'll find the answer to 95% of your questions by spend a few hours and going through the threads here.
No one can tell you your "chances of X, Y or Z" other than if you don't apply/try/ask you have zero chance.Do your best, put down what you want and go from there.

Also- check out Marineocs.com There is a lot of good info over there about the Marine side of the house wrt OCS and TBS.

And finally, always capitalize Marine.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
To add to the above, I wouldn't really sweat the "chances" question. It always is changing, week by week, so that is really an impossible estimate for anyone to give you. Bottom line is that it doesn't hurt you to apply and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you don't get picked up, and then you go about your life as you would have before, or maybe you keep applying. There are quite a few guys out there with wings on their chests that didn't get picked up the first time, but were persistent enough to make it happen. Talk to a Marine officer recruiter, as he/she will have the most reliable information about what you need to do, and what kind of slots are available at the moment. The rest is pretty much luck, timing, and putting together the best application package that you can, including getting good grades in college, doing well on the ASTB (not as big a deal for Marine applicants), and rocking the PFT. Get some meaningful extracurricular activities in there if you have the time and interest in doing so, and you should have a pretty solid package. Hope that helps!

phrogpilot73

There are quite a few guys out there with wings on their chests that didn't get picked up the first time, but were persistent enough to make it happen.
Excellent point.

<--- Got turned down 3 times for USNA/OCS. Persistence IS part of the equation.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
canned old guy input follows,

it's nice to wanna be a marine pilot but first you gotta ask yourself how much do you wanna be a marine officer?

6551315787_9e945fabe8_z.jpg