• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New fiscal year - NFO slots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cman

Hey, just wondering if anyone has heard from their recruiter about the number of NFO slots for the new year. Back in July my recruiter had said there were still about 70 NFO slots left, so how's it looking now with the new FY?

Chris

grouch

I was told the new number was 70 for the year but that they already had most of those filled. The new numbers came out this week so beat you recruiter until he tells you what you want to hear.

ghost_ttu

I was told by my recruiter that NFO was already closed for FY04.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

ryan77

Originally posted by ghost_ttu
I was told by my recruiter that NFO was already closed for FY04.

Did he say there are no more FY04 slots available?!? I thought they were just starting to evaluate FY04 candidates. I'd even bet that a few FY03 slots are out there. The Navy always needs NFOs.

Trying to count available slots for any designator is next to impossible - it's a moving target. The only thing you can do is submit a quality application and hope for the best.

ghost_ttu

He said that NFO was already closed. The last part where you said the number is a moving target seems appropriate however. He also said there are only 120 SNA slots this year. So we'll see what happens....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

cman

That seems pretty hard to believe that NFO is closed out but there are 120 pilot slots. I'm not discounting you personally ghost, but something doesn't seem right about that with the new fiscal year and all. I'm expecting a call from my recruiter either monday or tuesday so I'll ask him about the NFO projections. That would really suck if it were really the case because I'm past the age cut off for pilot.

grouch

cman, ghost's recruiter works in same office as mine and his info is consistant with what I was told. A buddy of mine is in API right now and he is saying pretty much the same thing. Sorry to paint a grim picture but that is what I know. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.

cman

I hope for my sake as well, but something just don't sound right about that. Thanks for the info guys, but I'm not going to believe it until my recruiter shows it to me in black and white.

Thanks,

C

cuculeis

regardless of what the numbers may look like, dont hesitate to submit a package...if your the type of candidate they want they will make room. sam

cman

Well, I sent an email to my recruiter last night-- on the off chance that he would be doing some navy related work over the weekend. I know, I know, it was a pipe dream but I gave it a shot. Anyway, I guess I'll have wait until Monday to find out what he knows about NFO slots.

C

cman

Alright, here is the skinny on NFO slots...

I finally got to talk with my recruiter about an hour ago and he told me that FY04 is not closed out as others on this board had previously reported[:D] There were 177 slots, 60 have been taken, and 117 are still open. He also said that the first available slots was Sep. 03 (you become in officer in 04, therefor it is a FY04 slot). Yeah, it would suck having to wait a year, but as long as I finally get there it's all good. Besides, there is always the chance that someone will drop before their leave date and I could get my date moved up.

So now all I have to do is wait on this damn med. waiver and an acceptance letter from TN.

C

ryan77

Wow 177 slots seems lower than usual. I thought Sept 03 was FY03 though. I'm going that month and am FY03 (accepted in July). Pretty sure I'll graduate in 2003 too. Perhaps Sept 27 2003 is the first FY04 class because that would be pushing the Xmas break.

cman

Ryan, yes 177 slots is lower. My recruiter said that was the new number after it had been reduced by whoever it is that determines such things. He was reading from a recent printout, so the decision to reduce must have come in the last few days.

As for Sept 03 being FY03. It may have something to do with if you are starting OCS at the beginging of September or at the end. If it is the last week of Sept. then with the holiday break your commissoning probably wont happen until after the new year. That's my guess. When I was questioning my recruiter about the whole fiscal year thing he said that usually he doesn't go into detail trying to explain it because people usually don't understand it and confuse the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm just happy to hear that there are slots that need filling.

C

Status
Not open for further replies.