• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New England's last active duty-duty base closes

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
3.5-ish years ago, on my way to move in to school, I forced the family to pull the car over under the pattern where P-3s were doing touch and gos. Seen them only a few times since. Weird to think they won't be there any more.

NA29697

SERE (the wilderness part) is still in Rangeley, Maine. They are getting a new classroom building on some other nearby property owned by the Navy.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Boo! Brunswick was a great base (to visit at least). I never flew out of it, but have used their Navy Lodge on many an occasion. A bunch of my wedding guests stayed there as well. I guess I'll just have to find another place to stay when Mrs. Pags wants to drink at Joshua's.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Is the wing already disestablished (CPRW-5)?

I didn't know 10/VPU-1 was already gone. Geez.

VP-8, VP-10, VPU-1 and VR-62 have already gone to Jax. VP-92 was disestablished. CPRW-5 is still alive, but on life support. I think the wing will disestablish in the spring.

When the number of fleet P-3 squadrons on each coast was cut from 12 to 6, it didn't make sense to keep the same infrastructure in place. And between Jax and Brunswick, it's really a no-brainer that Jax is the base to keep open, largely because its mission is much more diversified, but also the P-3 FRS is already there. However, Navy's proposal for BRAC '05 was to keep Brunswick open as a NAF, so at least there would be an active duty DOD airfield in the Northeast. The commission shot that down, and I think there will be some regret about that in the future.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
SERE (the wilderness part) is still in Rangeley, Maine. They are getting a new classroom building on some other nearby property owned by the Navy.

So for the week of classroom instruction, where will the students be billeted?

Make them stay in the "field" the whole time?

That could be a drag.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So for the week of classroom instruction, where will the students be billeted?

Make them stay in the "field" the whole time?

That could be a drag.

I've heard that the plan was to move the schoolhouse to the Naval Shipyard in Kittery, ME.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
That is sad. That's where I got my flight physical done actually for STA-21. They talked about closing Groton the same year and somehow we dodged it. Seems crazy to me to move all that out of there.

yak52driver

Contributor
It's unfortunate they are closing it. Years ago my then brother-in-law was stationed at Glenview Naval Airstation as a crew member aboard P-3s. They flew a training mission out there and brought back a whole bunch of fresh lobster. That was fun cooking up what he brought back for us.