• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New BullSh!t ASTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviator3000

I just read a post that the navy is revamping its ASTB? Did I read that right? What is so different about the new test (if there is really a new test)?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
It will be a while before its out. They had a bunch of us stashed Ensigns writting the new questions. The new test will be computer based and will be progressive in nature. ie If you get a question right, the next one is harder. You miss it then the next is easier. It's trying to bracket your true knowledge. Last I knew, it was still going to be a while before it was comming out.

Dave

Aviator3000

EODDave, thanks for your reply. I also had another question on the ASTB. Do you know how long your ASTB scores are good for?

jburnes

i think they tell you when you take the ASTB that you scores are good for life. So when the new one comes out it's not like they are going to make everyone retake it. Which is good because I smoked that test.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
EOD, they already had it set up in the Recuiters office when I went to do my PRT, about 2 weeks ago.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Target release date for the new astb is MAY 04.....or around that time frame.
They will split up the Math and Verbal sections and totally remove the BI sections.....There will be 3 variations of the test.
ea6bflyr [;)]

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Just so you guys know, the ASTB is good for life. The only way it changes is if you retake the test. The new test isn't as bad as everyone says. Basically, it's just adding a verbal section. When you think about it, being able to have reading comprehension is pretty valuable when you consider all of the EP's and systems you are going to have to learn in flight school.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
I took the current form one last week, precisely so I would not have to take the new form with out the benefit of having any the marine study guide, anyhoo when I asked my recruiter about it he said that it was going to be phased in over nine years. Now, he might have bum gauge or not, but that is what he said. My advice to anyone contemplating taking the ASTB, is to call your recruiter find out when they are supposed to get the new test and take the current test before the new test comes out.

Demento

Old Salt
That makes sense

Jolly Roger said:
I took the current form one last week, precisely so I would not have to take the new form with out the benefit of having any the marine study guide, anyhoo when I asked my recruiter about it he said that it was going to be phased in over nine years. Now, he might have bum gauge or not, but that is what he said. My advice to anyone contemplating taking the ASTB, is to call your recruiter find out when they are supposed to get the new test and take the current test before the new test comes out.

The test has to be validated and survive all the challenges that the ASTB did. That test also took various forms. Some years ago, the personality profile was scrapped, not sure of the reason. Every so often, standardized tests, to include ASTB, get challenged for some "inherent bias" against _____(fill in the blank.) With any luck, the NOMI guys will finess all that stuff, but like any testing tool, will probably have to run a series of validation exercises over the course of the next few years before someone can "bless" the test as "the best thing since sliced bread" insofar as predicting aptitude for flight training.

Status
Not open for further replies.